Door trim piping

Discussion of TABC-related matters
ian theobald

Door trim piping

Post by ian theobald » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:16 am

Good day again. Now that my car is back and all guards ,bonnets fitted Im now ready to fit trim.
I thought I may as well tack the leather piping around the top of doors.
Problem I have is there is only just enough clearance for the front section asuming it starts or finishes at edge of door mechanism and depending where the rear fold will be would foul with body piping if folded at very rear edge of door also asuming it finishes at top of hinge

I know It is a must for the book TC ,s forever so hoping that someone will buy for christmas as have given many hints.
The door trims seem to align perfect so if anyone has a good picture of front and back would really assist

I fitted rear sections each side to see how they would fit and seem correct but have not tried sections for the front and think will need to peel vinyl back and trim to suit.
I have already recovered seats which look good but confused by rear backing board as material sewn onto leather did not match cut out

My seat used to rest on the floor but leather arch wont allow and sits on transmision tunnel.
I am sure I have seen a picture somewhere where timber cut out was attached to rear backing board and will probably do something like that to correct.
My car is late 49 and has Dunlopilo rubber foam for seat base.
Never the less look ok.
Took me a day to remove guards etc and for ever to re assemble.
And that was only to have tub painted.
I have just paid for another 12 mths full registration as need the car as now fully retired and is a bit hard carrying cans of paint etc on a motorbike for the many chores around the house that have been neglected.
Cheers Ian

Richard Michell

Re: Door trim piping

Post by Richard Michell » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:27 pm

Ian, TCs Forever is not the book for trim IMHO. I made all my own upholstery and I mainly just Googled for trim photos on the internet. You will find lots of them, particularly from cars for sale. But look at quite a few as not all are correct.

Yes, at the rear of the door the piping abuts hard against the piping on the tub. At the front, the piping around the dash comes down inboard of that on the door.

Re the cut out in the base of the seat back, in mine it was a very tight fit over the tunnel once the seat was upholstered. However it does still fit and the seat base just reaches the floor boards although more of the support is from the tunnel than the floor. However, as I said, I made the upholstery and so I was free-er to address such challenges.

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 pm

Ian-
You are talking about the trim that goes around the outer edge of the TC door cards? It sticks out from under the card everywhere but the bottom and back (rear) edge. At the rear edge it is completely under the card. On mine anyways, and it is original interior. Makes for a perfect fit on mine, when the door is shut.

Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:18 am

door trim photos
Attachments
P1040125-1a.jpg
P1030671_edited-1-1a.jpg
101_0119-1a.jpg
946 TC0999 / XPAG 1638
restore note

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Thanks for the excellent photos
Its exactly how I have fitted cutting piping off at top edge of door at the rear
I hope to push rope cord in a bit at end and glue piping together not that its really noticeable
I have completed drivers door and once door check sorted out on the passenger side will start on it
Thanks Ian