Giving it a go again

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Herman 5560

Giving it a go again

Post by Herman 5560 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:42 am

This car seem to have been getting the better of me. There is just sooo much wrong with it.

It seems like all steel has been removed but the body panels. :x

So I thought getting started with the seats will be an easy start as I had already made the bases.But no slides, no hinges attaching the bases to the back rest, no wheel arch cover brackets to adjust the back rest.

So I thought the easiest would be to make the hinges. To get the sizes I removed the sear cover hoping to het some witness marks to help with the re manufacture process.

This really make me wonder about the history of this car. And this cover is old. On stapels everything is done with tacks.

Can anybody help with some dimensions especially material thickness? I guessed the hinge is about 40mm wide by 5 mm thick.

From my backrest the hinge slide is only 150mm long. The app I used ro scale the pickture indicates it is about 170mm long.
Attachments
Leopard skin S.jpg
Seat to backrest Hinge.JPG
Seat to backrest Hinge.JPG (41.32 KiB) Viewed 1460 times
back rest hinge tube.JPG
back rest hinge tube.JPG (33.85 KiB) Viewed 1460 times

olson_gene

Re: Giving it a go again

Post by olson_gene » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:57 pm

If you are making a driver (as opposed to original specs) you do not need hinges. I needed more leg room so I took out the jack handle (behind the seat) and made new seat cushions. I just used a piece of plywood and foam for the backrest- spray glued the foam to the wood, then cut out and stuffed in foam until i got the right shape and it was comfortable for me. Seat bottoms are plywood with a built up front, then again seat foam added or removed to make it comfortable. I have no seat slides, seat bottoms are just placed on the carpet, I have a pin in the floor and a few holes in the seat bottom plywood to keep the seat in position. Backrest is just placed on the back of the seat bottoms. seats do not move while driving and are quite comfortable. Moss leather kit makes Seats look original, but I am not doing car shows. I have done several trips of 400+ miles in one day.
gene olson
Gene Olson
Simi Valley
Southern California

Herman 5560

Re: Giving it a go again

Post by Herman 5560 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Good day Gene

Thanks for the reply, I have red your post as I like to search before I ask. I belong to some other forums where the people can be pretty mean if you ask a question that has been asked before.

I am 6'2" so also need all the space I can get, I also do not have seat slides and merely wanted the hinges to tie the whole lot together. I do not think I will loose any space by fitting the hinges. I do not even have a jack so that is no problem :lol:

I am now just getting my car to be a runner, but trying to get the basics right, that will be a huge job later to rectify. Like my Rad stays are totally wrong and a mismatch, but putting it back like I got the car, that is easy to fix later.