Question for anyone driving a lightweight (aluminum) T

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Mitchman2

Question for anyone driving a lightweight (aluminum) T

Post by Mitchman2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:54 pm

I'm building a TC "Q" Special and I've just fitted the rear axle to the leaf springs. With the car - and me - fully weighted to the springs the axle is not lifting from the frame. This car is not going to get much heavier, perhaps 50 pounds for the fenders and seats, etc.

Question: did you modify the rear springs so the car sees some vertical suspension travel? Such as take a leaf or two out?
Mitch

1930 Model A Ford (owned since 1972)
1948 MG TC Special
1958 MGA
1966 E-Type OTS (just like the one I had in HS back in '74.

EdCallo

Re: Question for anyone driving a lightweight (aluminum) T

Post by EdCallo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:13 am

I don't have a light weight Aluminum TC do have a TC I race that is much lighter then a stock TC. What I did was take the very bottom spring off and put in on top of the springs under the axle. Lowered the car a little and softer rear which the car needed

Mitchman2

Post by Mitchman2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:41 pm

EdCallo wrote:I don't have a light weight Aluminum TC do have a TC I race that is much lighter then a stock TC. What I did was take the very bottom spring off and put in on top of the springs under the axle. Lowered the car a little and softer rear which the car needed
That's clever. I was thinking about removing a few leaves and replacing with spacers and maybe a spacer above. Just moving leaves to the top takes them out of action without tossing away and no need for a place holder.

Many Thanks.
Mitch

1930 Model A Ford (owned since 1972)
1948 MG TC Special
1958 MGA
1966 E-Type OTS (just like the one I had in HS back in '74.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:08 pm

A friend of mine has a seriously lightened front end - no side panels, lightweight alloy top panels, cycle fenders, no running boards, etc and hasn't had any issues with stock springs. But the rest of the body is stock so maybe that's enough of a difference.

I know there are a few guys on the TABC email list who build and drive TABC/Q specials so it may be worth asking there. Plus several racers who may be in the same boat.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com