Master Cylinder rebuild.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

Master Cylinder rebuild.

Post by jddevel » Sat May 04, 2019 5:46 am

How successful have members been in rebuilding master cylinders or do I just get a club replacement? Any tips/advice please.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Master Cylinder rebuild.

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat May 04, 2019 7:27 am

I always rebuild unless there is a reason to replace. The only real issue you might run into is corrosion is the bore. The other possibility is rusting through the bottom but that's rare.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Sat May 04, 2019 11:19 am

As Steve says why replace if its still ok! I presume its not and thats why youre asking how easy it is. Yes, rust is the biggest issue and probably the biggest reason to why to replace. If rust isnt causing it to leak then just clean and refit. If there is evidence to show leaks from the canister, then replace ... if you cant solder up the problem that is. If the pistons are sticking and you perhaps can feel a problem when pressing the pedal, you may have to re-hone the master cylinder bore. Plenty of cheap honing tools to do the job on ebay for less than £10. If the rust is to deep into the bore then perhaps linings are an option but that cost and effort may result in as much cost as replacement. Are the pistons pitted or ovalled, then replace. If there are leaks from behind the seals it could just be that the seals need replacement too - doing a master cylinder service is cheap, simple but a little time consuming when removing from underneath, after disconnecting the rod thread, the outer heat casing and the pipes. All possible but expect the worst and then be greatful if it turns out to be an easy job ... good luck. I service 4 master cylinders and 12 slave cylinders over a 2 day period ... quite satisfying in the end.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Sat May 04, 2019 6:45 pm

jddevel - Is this for your TF? If so, the master needs to, and can, be sleeved in stainless steel for a life-time repair. I recommend Mark Frappier in Agawam, MA. Plenty in the archives on the TD/TF sites.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 pm

Thanks all. Bearing in mind the time and effort to remove and repair the cylinder have decided that on this occasion I`m going to "chicken out" and by a club replacement. To go to all that trouble and maybe unsuccessful seems with all the other jobs outstanding to get the car on the road-unproductive. Will however buy a repair kit and in a lighter moment attempt the repair.