water on my head ... we'll not quite

Discussion of TABC-related matters
bloodysalmon

water on my head ... we'll not quite

Post by bloodysalmon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Having just rebuilt one of my 3 TC engines, fitted the radiator and filled with water. 2-3 weeks one without an engine restart as yet I noticed a little bit of rust on 3-4 cylinder nuts ... along with water evidence :roll: . Alarmed to see it I drained the water out immediately ... so before I do anything, like removing the head, what observations would you have to the possible prognosis please? Cylinder head gasket, cracked head is possible but what other scenarios have you witnessed on the XPAG engine?
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Kenmgtc

Re: water on my head ... we'll not quite

Post by Kenmgtc » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:28 am

Did you retorque the head after running it up to temperature? That may be all it needs. You used new bolts, correct?
K
Ken Klemmer
1948 TC 5510

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:16 am

My first thought is a loose head. Other than that it could be a cracked head or block If it's the block, you may be able to simply remove the studs, put sealer on the threads and reinstall them into the block. Since the cooling system isn't pressurized, it takes very little effort to seal any leaks.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:28 pm

the engine hasn't been run as yet, just been sat in the car for a few weeks with water in the radiator while I fix the electrics. I've turned the engine over with the starter motor to prime it at 16psi ... this is when I noticed the rust/water a few days alter. I checked the new head bolts and nuts and appear to be firm. I have this faint feeling the head must be cracked. Is there a way to check ... without undoing the head bolts etc? Then again why would the water come up the 3-4 bolts to rust the tops!?
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615