Fitting Half shafts into the Diff

Discussion of TABC-related matters
rak58

Fitting Half shafts into the Diff

Post by rak58 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:39 am

I am restoring a 49 TC, and it is fighting me all the way. I almost have the rolling chassis finished, and am assembling the diff. I have inserted the Diff centre and am fitting up the half shafts and hubs etc. I have fitted the bearing housings on both sides, and pressed the half shaft axles into the hubs. When inserted into the diff housing, I cannot seem to get the splines to align with the diff, especially on the left side. They seen to go home, but turning either the hubs or the pinion indicates that one or both axle/hubs slip. I can feel then catching sometimes and the right side seems to lock in easily. I have had the axles out a number of times and cannot see any issues. They are fitted the correct way around (checked withCarl at Moss) and have gone to tightening up both sides on the drums but no go. Is there a trick to inserting the axles or do I just persevere until they go in properly. ANy help will be appreciated with any tricks you have learnt to do this. I have done plenty of restoration of bikes, so I have a well equipped workshop and can do quite complex mechanical work and machining. This is y first car restoration and something as seemingly simple as this is frustrating me no end. Cheers and thanks in advance.

Richard Michell

Re: Fitting Half shafts into the Diff

Post by Richard Michell » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 am

Are you sure you are not just confirming that the differential is working? It is common for only one wheel to turn if you rotate the prop shaft with both rear wheels off the ground. If this is what occurs then suggest you chock the wheel that turns and now see if the other one turns when you rotate the prop shaft.

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 am

I can confirm that I too had what I thought was a problem until you realise these are 'limited-slip type differentials' and will appear not to be working as you try to turn one side or the other. So even if one spins easier than the other, it is highly likely the diff is doing its bit. The only way I know to prove it is to have the car and the diff in place with wheels on ... then try to turn the prop-shaft ( to simulate driving) ... then you wont be able to turn it without moving forwards or backwards. So if you have the diff off the ground, free, you will not be able to drive anything. Hopefully I've explained how it works simply!
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:09 am

Rak, where are you? I'me between Barnsley and Wakefield, I can come over if you're not too far away. Email me and I'll see what I can do. (norman@frenchblat.com)
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

rak58

Post by rak58 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:41 pm

Thanks everyone, I will continue with assembly and see how it is with wheels on the ground. Norman, I have been talking to you on Facebook re the handbrake. I am in Queensland, Australia, so a bit far for you, but welcome to visit if you need a holiday. Cheets

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Ah, OK, I know who you are now. It was the talking to Carl that threw me.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

rak58

Post by rak58 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:00 am

No worries, Norman. The wonders of the internet.