TC steering wheel installation

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Rickwilson

TC steering wheel installation

Post by Rickwilson » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

I removed steering wheel from my TC while having my dashboard restored. ( Craig Seabrook from the Whitworth Shop did a fantastic dashboard restoration. ) Anyway the steering wheel came off relatively easy. But I am having problems getting it back on. It slides on the column about an inch or so, but won't go any further. I've tried tapping it with a wooden block and hammer. But it just won't go completely on.
Is there a special technique to get it on? I hope someone has the answer. I'm baffled.

Rick Wilson
TC1130

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC steering wheel installation

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:38 pm

First the obvious question, is the clamping bolt nice and loose? You could try gently prying the splines open as you press, but obviously that shouldn't be necessary. There must be a burr somewhere on either the male or female splines. If it's the male splines you may be able to clean it up carefully with a small file or dremel. If female, the best way is to use a broach and a press, if you know anyone nearby with such a setup.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Clifford Jay Lockrow

Post by Clifford Jay Lockrow » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:23 am

There is also a snap ring on the column which should be off before trying to put the steering wheel back on. It should slide on easily and then the ring goes back on after installation. You have to take the centre plate off the steering wheel to access the snap ring.

Rickwilson

Post by Rickwilson » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:03 pm

WHEW!!!! Got steering wheel back on. Turns out some of splines on column did have burrs on them. cleaned them up with a small "V" shaped file.