Wheel bearings

Discussion of TABC-related matters
frenchblatter

Wheel bearings

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 am

My everloving and I both thought the bearing noise was coming from the N/S/F. However, after taking the hub off last week and not findinging anything wrong I thought I'd check the O/S. The hub was wobbling around like dick in a shirtsleeve... New bearings and oil seal ordered. This morning I took the hub off only it wouldn't come off. I used a three leg drawer and the hub came off but left the inner race on the spindle. I got it 90% off with the drawer but then had to cut through the inner race to get it off. New bearings arrived at 1500 and were on by 1600 and a quick blast around the block and it's a different car. These bearing were purchased from Moss and have done just over 3000 miles. I think this is the last of their bearings to be replaced.

Whilst I was waiting for the delivery I adjusted the tappets and the carbs, a major job if you take the air cleaner manifold off, which I did. Worth while the clattering from the tappets has stopped, I set the at 0.018" instead of 0.019".

Click http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/db_09_18.htm and scroll down past the oil pipes to see some sorry bearings
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Duncan M

Re: Wheel bearings

Post by Duncan M » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:21 pm

Norman-
Not sure if you are using old front hubs. TC front hubs had a way of ovaling out the opening where the bearings fits in. I had to buy new F hubs, as the originals were ovaled out. Original ones did not have bearing races as we now have, rather the hubs were simply machined to accept a pressed in bearing.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 am

Duncan, they seem OK. The bearings fit snugly and needed drifting in as I expected. I'm not the only one to have early failure of Moss supllied bearings.

Ask me next year :)
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:10 pm

Norman, I am curious what brand front bearings Moss delivered to you? I took the opportunity of new front hubs to go with the tapered roller bearing conversion.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Duncan, no idea now. I got them in May 2015 but they wern't used until the restoration was finished in 2016. Since then they've done little over 3000 miles. Thay are not tapered but the standard roller bearing. I found the quality of parts from Moss was shocking but the prices are the highest in the market. After the firts batch of parts (about £5,000 worth!) I used NTG. Prices are not much cheapre but the quality and service were miles better. I also use the Octagon Club, the parts are quality and the prices are the best in the marketplace.

To exolain further, if you understand the car was a non-runner which had been on bricks in a damp concrete lock up for 48 years I just made a list of everything I knew I would need to replace. It was a long list and came to about £5,000.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:52 pm

Norman, I think you replaced your pinion bearings (double row angular contact ball bearing, and a roller bearing) around the same time I did. Hopefully you got some good bearings in there. Or did you go with the tapered conversion? So far I only have used tapered bearings on the front axle.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:06 am

From memory the diff bearings came from Roger Furneaux via NTG. I changed the other side front yesterday and the rumbling noise has gone. I think that's all 4 wheel bearing have now been changed, about 3500 miles.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website