Distributor Problem

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Paul Mascuch

Distributor Problem

Post by Paul Mascuch » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:07 pm

I am replacing the distributor on my 1948 MGTC and have run into a problem with the mounting. I have the micro-adjuster between the bracket that bolts to the block and the actual distributor clamp. The distributor holding bolt is a shoulder bolt that goes through the block clamp which has an elongated hole to accept the shoulder. At the end of this bolt is a projection that engages the slot in the part of the distributor that is in the block. This projection allows the distributor to be turned when the squeeze clamp is loose, but keeps the distributor from being withdrawn from the block.

My problem is that the shoulder of the bolt contacts the block before the head of this bolt contacts the block mounting clamp. The fit of the shoulder to the elongated hole is not precise and allows both rotational and up and down slight movement of the distributor when everything is tight. Is this correct?

Should I fit washers over the shoulder between the head and the clamp so it is held tight to the block and keeps the distributor from moving when the squeeze clamp is tight?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

frenchblatter

Re: Distributor Problem

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 am

Paul, are you sure it's the correct pinch bolt. From memory mine has a small spindle on the end. Howver, a spring washer under the head of the bolt may improve things but from your description I doubt it.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement