Engine History

Discussion of TABC-related matters
ibertie

Engine History

Post by ibertie » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:26 am

I have recently purchase a 1936 MG TA which appears to have a TC engine based on the location of the Engine Tag.
The tag states "Replacement Engine XPAG SO No B4181"
Is there anywhere where I can find out about the history of this engine (whether TB/TC/TD) etc.
Best Regards
Ian Bertie
1936 TA0728 / XPAG B4181

Marv

Re: Engine History

Post by Marv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:46 am

Good Question! My last TD, a 1953, (I was the second owner), was not a "numbers matching car and I was told by the son that his father, (deceased), had thrown a rod and destroyed the original engine more or less. He ordered a new unit from the dealer and received a "Crate Engine" which happened to be a XPEG 1500cc engine complete with big valve head and intake manifold. It has a round engine tag that starts with "RS". The dealer supposedly said that the factory just shipped whatever was available at the time.
crate engine tag.jpg
crate engine tag.jpg (105.63 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
When I sold the car, the new owner was elated that it had the 1500 XPEG engine and was planning on installing the 1-1/2" S.U.'s on it.

I was never concerned or curious enough to wonder if the new engine would have been for the later TD MKII or for the TF cars. I suppose somewhere in the Abingdon archives there may be a record of replacement engines as to where they may bave been destined for had they not been delegated to replacement units to older cars.[/b]

Franz Tenbrock

Post by Franz Tenbrock » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:20 pm

Hallo
had the same problem
perhaps this helps
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=867&p=5303#p5303

my number was under the paint ;-)
Best Regards
Franz

3D Print: CJR3 case for Lucas340, individual Titan-X spark plug holder, resin printed octagon hazzard light switch and some more,

ibertie

Post by ibertie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:48 am

Thanks Marv & Franz for your feedback.
I will try to find other numbers hidden under paintwork
Best Regards
Ian Bertie
1936 TA0728 / XPAG B4181

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:08 am

ibertie, I've just noticed we're almost neighbours. I'm in Royston. If you ever need a hand call me. 0741 9905 741
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

ibertie

Post by ibertie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Lynne & Norman
Thank you very much for your kind offer.
As a complete newbie in the world of Vintage Cars, my knowledge is zero and therefore a very steep learning curve ahead.
At the moment I am trying to work out the modifications that have been made to the TA in order to best understand what I need to do to keep the car on the road whilst I decide what restoration is required.
Bodywork is mainly cosmetic, new full weather equipment ordered

Best regards
Ian
Best Regards
Ian Bertie
1936 TA0728 / XPAG B4181

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:11 am

Ian, ring me or email me at norman@frenchblat.com and I'll pop over and take a look and advice. Just for the record I was apprenticed on TCs at University Motors. (well TC's had been out of production 12 years but we still got a lot in to work on). I completey rebuilt mine after it had spent 48 years in a lock up in Sheffield. Look at www.frenchblat.com MG TC. it's all in there - if you can find it :) I'm free almost every day next week.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement