MG TC radiator shell nose piece

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timandgerda

MG TC radiator shell nose piece

Post by timandgerda » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:19 am

Hello again,

I am trying to trial fit the false nose to the radiator shell on my TC and wonder if there should be a spacer or something to stop the badge from pulling the false nose up against the shell too tightly. I seem to have a small S shaped bracket but not sure if this is from a previous owners repair or if it should be there. Any pictures of how this attaches to the shell (I understand that the badge locks it in place but what other bits should be in place) would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: MG TC radiator shell nose piece

Post by Steve Simmons » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:54 am

I've always just tightened snug and let it be. No pieces in between. I've never had one come loose. A dab of locktite would work as insurance against loosening.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:06 am

On a similar theme, I wondered if anyone knew if and what differences there are between a TD radiator and a TC one? Not the chrome part but just the core, brass and frame. :?

I ask because after re-coring one of my radiators for TC4245, then trying to fit it to the chrome outer I see that the rad cap will not fit as it is tilted forward which looks not to be level. So have I got a TD radiator and a TC outershell ... the latter is pretty much 99% a TC.
Seeing a side profile profile of each of the rad cores would be a tell-tale hint
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 am

The only difference I'm aware of is the angle of the water inlet. The TD uses a different angle because the engine is farther from the radiator.

The problem with fitting your shell to the re-cored radiator is likely due to the radiator shop not getting things lined up exactly how they were before. It's a common problem. They should really have the shell on hand as they assemble it to make sure it fits correctly.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:46 am

ah, Steve there is nothing wrong with my radiator, but from what you have said is that my rad is actually a ... TD one. This all makes sense, especially as you have already stated the angle of water inlet is different ... this is what I see.
So, I have wonderfully restored TD radiator for sale ... and I need a TC one with the correct angle.

Strange but I had an incline that this was the case but needed the confirmation the angle was indeed different on a TD.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615