Rear spring silent block bush replacement.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Ray White

Rear spring silent block bush replacement.

Post by Ray White » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:11 pm

On removal of the TC o/s rear spring, the Metalastic bush disintegrated. Has anyone needed to replace any of these and what difficulties am I likely to encounter.?

I have a feeling it could be a pig of a job.

Duncan M

Re: Rear spring silent block bush replacement.

Post by Duncan M » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Not much to it. Those Silentbloc's come as a unit. Pointless to try and rebuild it. They run about $20 ea from the usual suspects

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm

It's easiest to remove the entire spring so you can press it out (if it isn't fully off the car already). If you don't have a press, you can use an old socket and a bench vise. Wear safety goggles! I like to hone the eye to clean out any old crud and then lightly grease it to help the new one go in and also to reduce future corrosion. It's an easy job, unless it's really corroded in there.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Well, the problem was that the inner steel sleeve of the bush was left on the pin and it didn't want to come off. It was REALLY stuck firm. In the end I managed to loosen it's grip by turning it with a stilsons wrench. It still needed to be bashed off with a hammer and chisel and finally pulled off with a puller. It would probably have been easier with heat... but it's done now.