Mount rubbers for fuel tank

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Simon Sadubin

Mount rubbers for fuel tank

Post by Simon Sadubin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:52 am

Hi All,

My name is Simon Sadubin. I am a new member to MG T-ABC. I have been restoring a 1947 MG TC in Sydney Australia for the last few years. My car is chassis no TC2575. It was pretty compete car mechanically, but was missing the rear part of the body tub. I've made a new timber frame carefully copying original factory timber. Ive just got the frame completed and the body tub panels nailed on. My question related to where are the rubber pads positioned that space the fuel tank off the rear of the body tub? I can't find any reference to the position of these in anything I've read. I've seen two possible examples which I will attach photos of below. I am interested in knowing where the factory placed them off an original unmolested body tub. The factory specification lists the fastenings as 8g x 3/4" CSK woodscrews x 9 off, so this makes 3 x screws per rubber.

I'll also attach a few images of TC2575 to show you where I'm up to with it.

best regards,

Simon Sadubin TC 2575
rsz_img_0588.jpg
rsz_img_0588.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
rsz_img_0587.jpg
rsz_img_0587.jpg (144.74 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
rsz_1img_0588.jpg
rsz_1img_0588.jpg (122.5 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
rsz_1screen_shot_2019-12-07_at_101759_am.png
rsz_1screen_shot_2019-12-07_at_101759_am.png (455.18 KiB) Viewed 1938 times
rsz_img_4059.jpg
rsz_img_4059.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 1938 times

ROGER FURNEAUX

Re: Mount rubbers for fuel tank

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:50 am

hi Simon - welcome to the MG-TABC site! Unfortunately you have joined at a time when we are changing from the old Yahoo-hosted site, to a new one. In fact, today is the last day of Yahoo (for us, anyway) so you need to go to
MG-TABC@group.io and subscribe, then you can post messages and join in the discussions. This forum was never as popular as the Yahoo list, and the new one should be as good, if not better. You can sign up for all messages or a daily digest.
Regarding the rubber strips, I would not think there is a definitive answer: both the photos you show are more-or-less correct, but with too many screws! Three per strip is enough, the tank is pulled back onto them anyway.
I don't have my copy of Mike Sherrell's "TCs Forever to hand, but I would be surprised if he does not show them. You have a copy I hope - it's the TC Bible!

Roger Furneaux
TC0978 TC2365

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:30 am

Welcome Simon. Wish my restoration was as advanced. Haven`t even started. Out of curiosity over the years I bet you`ve sat in the car wondering what it will be like to actually drive what will be your creation.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:41 am

Welcome to the forum, Simon! I don't see anything in the Sherrell book but I looked at my old messages and found this from TC guru Mike Goodman, who restored many TCs back when there were still unrestored cars on the road...
The 2 short ones are in line with the frame rails starting about 3/4 inch above the rails. The top one is attached just below the roll of the fuel tank, about 3/4 to an inch below the top of the tank. If you look at the metal panel behind the tank, you will see a hole on each side for the screw. Add a third screw in the middle or the rubber will sag. The are two small pads attached to the top of the frame rail for the tank to set on. They were attached with split rivets.
So it appears that the ivory car you pictured above is more correct than the black one. Hopefully this helps!

PS... the change from Yahoo to GIO that Roger mentions has nothing to do with this site or forum. It's only the email list that is affected.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:03 am

Perhaps this image helps
Attachments
IMG_7011-1.jpg
946 TC0999 / XPAG 1638
restore note

Simon Sadubin

Post by Simon Sadubin » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:02 pm

Thanks Roger, jddevel, Steve and Tim,

I guess it makes sense that the vertical rubbers line up with the pads on the chassis rails, but it would be great to get confirmation of this from an original body tub. I've read Mike Sherrells book from cover to cover countless times, but he makes no reference to those rubbers. There is one really good factory original example here in Sydney that has never been restored. It's a later car no TC9610, I've photographed most parts of this vehicle, but didn't record the area behind the tank and it's been moved, so I might be up for a road trip...

thanks again.

Simon TC 2575

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:38 am

Hi Simon, I'm a intrigued to know why this is so critical, especially when you cant see it! It seems quite logical it fits like the blue TC example above, like all 3 of my TC's. To me, I'd fit it so to make it work for you with a slight curve on the top rubber to prevent any water settlement
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:39 am

Hi Simon, I'm a intrigued to know why this is so critical, especially when you cant see it! It seems quite logical it fits like the blue TC example above, like all 3 of my TC's. To me, I'd fit it so to make it work for you with a slight curve on the top rubber to prevent any water settlement
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Simon Sadubin

Post by Simon Sadubin » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:03 am

Hi Chris,

Well I guess it's not critical, you are right you don't see it, but I'm enjoying the challenge of rebuilding the car and wherever possible I like to emulate the way it was done originally. Because my car was missing the metal panels and the original timber plywood board behind the tank I had no reference points on how it may have been done originally.

regards,

Simon TC2575