Radiator Cowls (and Grills) that are interchangeable

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timberstone

Radiator Cowls (and Grills) that are interchangeable

Post by timberstone » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 pm

Can anyone tell which radiator cowls fit on which models?

Specifically, found a good deal on a TD radiator cowl that looks better than my TC radiator cowl, but am not able to measure the dimensions while it is already mounted.
Need it to not just fit, but also work with the openings and grill slats .

Think there is some difference in the crank holes, but are overall size differences too much to adapt from one T series model to another?
Octagonally yours,
BOXLEY (Robert and MGTC0820)

jeffnewey

Re: Radiator Cowls (and Grills) that are interchangeable

Post by jeffnewey » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Only difference (an improvement) is bridge across bottom of crank handle hole.
Shell is unchanged otherwise.!

Marv

Post by Marv » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:55 pm

Ditto on jeffnewey's comment, They are 100% interchangeable. The TD version just added a bridge across the lower portion of the crank hole because the TC versions were prone to flexing and developing a crack in that area.

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:11 am

umm, you may wish to check again. I have a TA a TC and a TD radiator. The shells for the TA and TC's do NOT fit my TD rad.
The problem is more to do with the nose pieces and the angle of dip compare between each other, to the brass thread opening to where the cap fits. So, I have a feeling the difference is the detachable nose piece on the shells as all the holes/fittings appear to be the same.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:39 am

To my knowledge there is no difference other than the aforementioned crank hole. Anyone who knows what they're looking at will be able to tell it's a TD shell, but the average person probably won't notice.

Chris, the only difference in the radiator that I'm aware of is the angle of the inlet tube. So the shells should be 100% interchangeable. I wonder if your shells are a bit tweaked? It does happen.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:58 am

Steve, there's the issue, if the angle of the inlet tube is forward, then this prevents the chromed rad cap being turned on the threads ... why? Because of the nose piece being the wrong angle.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:58 am

It's actually the inlet tube underneath, not the filler tube on top. The TD engine is farther from the radiator than TC, so a different outlet elbow (63.5-degrees TD IIRC versus 72-degrees TC) is required to line up with the inlet elbow on the radiator.

There were no part number changes that I'm aware of from TA-TD on the nose piece, part number AJJ119. Also on slats which were AJJ142. Only the shell differs, at the crank hole and I believe the part number did change for this, although a factory replacement for a TC shell was simply a TD shell.

Many TCs are running around with TD shells because TC shells are so scarce these days. If there is a difference I'm not aware if then I'd love to see it, but I suspect one of your radiators may have been rebuilt with the top tank a little off, and the shell tweaked to fit. It wouldn't be the first time. T-Series radiators can be really tough to rebuild and get aligned to the shell properly. Any radiator whop worth their salt will want the shell on hand to make sure they get all the brackets and fittings soldered in the right place.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

timberstone

Post by timberstone » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 pm

Thank you all for the information, observation and advice about the interchangeability between radiator cowls (shells, surrounds) of the different models of T series.

The radiator by itself alone and specifically is a different topic.

The radiator shop we have been going to has people with 30 to 40 years of experience. They can do anything listed above, but not the chrome cowl, surround or shell.
It is very hard to find individuals with the skill and desire to work on the radiators to the "tweaking" level.
We deeply and appreciatively respect the persons who work on radiators because of the skill and craft required in their jobs. They are a diminishing band of hearty souls.
Good cooling, without leaking, is a prime pursuit in our autos.
Octagonally yours, BOXLEY
(Robert and MGTC0820)