Wheel spoke thread

Discussion of TABC-related matters
JohnW

Wheel spoke thread

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:55 am

Having measured the thread on TC wheel spokes I have decided they are 5/32 Whitworth (32 tpi). Can anyone confirm or tell me otherwise please?

ROGER FURNEAUX

Re: Wheel spoke thread

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:07 pm

hi john - I did a quick search on Google: there is plenty of info about bicycle threads, but precious little about car spokes.

As far as I can make out, they are indeed 32tpi, whatever the wire gauge used. 5/32" is about 5mm or 6G.

The important thing about spokes is that the threads are rolled, NOT cut. Rolling deforms the metal by raising it up and is therefore much stronger then cutting with a die which removes metal. The thread form is also different with rounded valleys and peaks.

If you have a problem, simply buy new spokes and nipples, they are not expensive: try Motor Wheel Services, who make their own.

Roger

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi Roger - thank you for that, I didn't realise that they are rolled, it makes sence when I think about it.
I need one new short spoke but could only get a long one so was going to lengthen the thread and shorten the spoke to suit. Now I will change my plan and contact Motor Wheel Services for a short spoke :thumbs:

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:02 am

hi john - I think I have some spokes, let me know the length!

roger