Wiring Loom Fittings

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

Wiring Loom Fittings

Post by SteveW » Sun May 24, 2020 8:32 am

Given that my question is about buying things, this may be for UK readers only:

I'm looking at fitting my wiring loom and need a set of clips and ties. The only full set that I can find is from NGT, but over £92 seems a lot for a few p-clips, slip on clips and ties (many of which I can buy locally or on e-bay for less than £1 each). Does anyone have a list of sizes and of what is needed. The slip-on clips seem harder to source, so any ideas (NGT do sell them separately so that's an option).

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Wiring Loom Fittings

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun May 24, 2020 8:36 am

I don't know if he carries such things, but Roger Furneaux has a lot of original type parts and is in Devon. FTFU has them all but would have to ship to you from USA.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am

Steve - Thanks for pointing me to Roger, I'd forgotten about him. Also thanks to Chris B for directing me to FTFU tech tips. This has everything I could want to know about what is needed to fit the loom and I have also learnt that the fuel line needs to be fitted first as it runs along the same side of the chassis.

Interestingly, if this was a kit car needing to go through the UK IVA test, running electrics next to the fuel would be an instant fail. Shows how safety standards have changed.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 pm

I’d be interested if you manage to get a reply out of Roger. I sent 2 e mails plus left a phone message saying I wanted to order some parts from him and never heard a thing back. I hope he’s ok.
TC 6927

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun May 24, 2020 12:08 pm

I've received two orders from him recently but getting a hold of him has been really difficult. I've been waiting two weeks to get an invoice for the last order so I can pay.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Sun May 24, 2020 2:28 pm

Coincidentally, I am fitting a new fuel line and it seems strangely ugly how it passes under the chassis and cross member before joining the tank. Doug Pelton warns about crushing the copper pipe with a jack. I wonder if the pipe is deliberately on show so that it can be avoided when jacking up the car? It could be routed differently - and out of sight - but there would still be the risk of getting it squashed with a jack but by accident....

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun May 24, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi Ray, where did you get your fuel line from? I need to put one in before I can do the wiring loom. I'll probably make it up myself if I can source the ferruls as they are not hard to do.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Mon May 25, 2020 2:14 am

Hi Steve. I am also making up my own fuel line. I have chosen Rimex Yorkshire copper tubing with a 1mm wall. It seems there is a lot of thin tubing on the market which I don't think is really suitable..

The original route for the fuel line is along the outside of the n/s chassis rail where it passes under the chassis and cross member to meet the tank. There is a risk that the pipe will get trapped/pinched by a jack. This is what has happened to my car at some point in it's history and I am contemplating re routing the fuel line to avoid it happening again.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Mon May 25, 2020 11:54 am

SteveW wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:58 am
Steve - Thanks for pointing me to Roger, I'd forgotten about him. Also thanks to Chris B for directing me to FTFU tech tips. This has everything I could want to know about what is needed to fit the loom and I have also learnt that the fuel line needs to be fitted first as it runs along the same side of the chassis.

Interestingly, if this was a kit car needing to go through the UK IVA test, running electrics next to the fuel would be an instant fail. Shows how safety standards have changed.
errr........ I don't think the fuel line and the wiring harness are on the same side of the chassis rail. It is the brake pipe which needs to be fitted first. The fuel line is on the outside of the n/s chassis rail.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm

Hi Ray, your right. After I did my earlier post I realised that there is a typo in the FTFU tech tip where it mentions the fuel line when it should say brake line.

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Mon May 25, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Steve - I got a new loom from Autosparks (just down the road from you really) and they supplied most of the clips that I will need (haven't fitted it yet and will still need a few additional clips). The octagon club carry some clips and also the fuel line ready made up (Pete is still filling email orders at present I believe).

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Mon May 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Doug Pelton also shows fuel line routing on the out side of frame.
https://fromtheframeup.com/uploads/TT_A ... outing.pdf

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue May 26, 2020 1:19 am

Hi Tim,

I got mine from Autosparks as well. I bought it from them at Beaulieu auto jumble show, a 360 mile round trip, before I realised that they are based 5 miles from where I live! I got a good deal though as all I could offer was everything left in my wallet after walking around the show for two hours as they were only taking cash. A new and correct loom is a thing of beauty.

timandgerda

Post by timandgerda » Tue May 26, 2020 2:13 am

Got mine at Stoneleigh - they threw in a dashboard loom and all the clips I could think of at the time. Definitely an easy company to deal with. Keep in touch re the loom fit as it is one of my next jobs.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Tue May 26, 2020 4:06 pm

Duncan M wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:19 pm
Doug Pelton also shows fuel line routing on the out side of frame.
https://fromtheframeup.com/uploads/TT_A ... outing.pdf
Since you mention it, Duncan, this fuel line route - where is goes under the chassis at the back - has been bugging me ALL DAY ! Just as Doug Pelton warns, my original line had been squashed - presumably by a jack - and I don't want to run any unnecessary risks...and besides, I don't think it looks very good either.

There is not really enough room for the line on the inside of the rail (due to the wiring) so unless I can find a route where the pipe crosses OVER it, I may take the pipe along the inside of the right hand rail.

There are spare holes suitable for p clips along the other chassis rail, so I am sorely tempted to run a line along it and if I clip the pipe to the inside of the r/h rail it will avoid the vulnerability issue.

My only reservation is that the fuel pump plumbing will look a bit different...

Apologies to the purists :wtf: