Gearbox woes..

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveT

Gearbox woes..

Post by SteveT » Tue May 26, 2020 9:10 am

My TC gearbox works fine, bit snicky going into 3rd and sometimes jumps out of 3rd on overrun, otherwise ok. Dropped out the oil today and with the oil came 4 ball bearings of about 5/16 and 2 springs!.

So is this something that can be done with the box in situ, box out or maybe I should consider a 5sp conversion and be done with?

If so , is it possible to do this with engine in or pull the lot out?
TC 6927

Duncan M

Re: Gearbox woes..

Post by Duncan M » Tue May 26, 2020 10:08 am

Never heard of those popping out unless the transmission was taken apart. TC transmissions are bulletproof. Check #77 & 78 on moss catalog//gearbox and figure someone had it apart and missed loading those parts back in.
https://mossmotors.com/mg-tc-td-tf/clut ... tc-gearbox

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue May 26, 2020 10:17 am

I'm no gearbox expert but it's probably worn forks or clearances. I don't think you will fix this without taking things apart, which means gearbox out. I know of a couple TCs out there with bungee cords around the shifter to help keep them in gear. Probably not the best solution. In fact it will probably make it worse over time.

Edit: Somehow I completely skipped over the part about the pieces falling out. I wonder if a previous owner dropped these in there when he removed the cover, and simply replaced them with new parts. I would at least open it up and inspect, which can be done in place. But be careful not to lose more springs and balls down there when you lift the cover off!

A taller set of rear end gearing will be MUCH cheaper than a 5-speed, and allow you to retain the unique, wonderful feel of the original box. But the 5-speed does have advantages obviously.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Tue May 26, 2020 10:34 am

I would NOT continue to drive the car, but remove the transmission and determine what it needs. If you had lost such parts from the engine, would you continue to drive the car?

Are you happy with the gearing? If so, a 5-speed will be little benefit. You can do the same thing by installing a Morris minor 4.55 pumpkin.

As noted, TC's have very robust transmissions, and yours probably has fork wear. But do it right, measure every needle bearing, and check every tooth. You will be rewarded with a smooth and neat gearbox. Why do you think TD racers used to yank out the TD box and install a TC transmission?

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Tue May 26, 2020 10:53 am

I'd guess its 3rd and 4th sliding hub that's somehow shed the balls and springs. I dont intend driving it at all until it's fixed. I have no way of knowing what the precious owner has done.

Im in two minds whether to fix the original box or put the money into a 5 speed. I was already thinking of it as the standard gearing makes it hard work on any main road driving, fine on the lanes but not the A roads with most traffic doing at least 60+.

So either way it's got to come out, I'm guessing most opt for engine and box out together rather than box out through the interior?
TC 6927

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Tue May 26, 2020 2:08 pm

Steve, I have three extra TC gearboxes I just rebuilt. If you need a replacement, let me know.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 am

Thanks Tom, I want to be able to do some long runs so am going the 5 sp route as that way it will sort 2 issues out at once (hopefully!)

I've stripped the interior out as wanted to tidy that up while I was at it. I have one query.. is it a good idea to use something between the floorboards and the side rails, mastic or similar or just straight on?
TC 6927

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu May 28, 2020 8:25 am

I've heard both arguments, both for and against sealer. On one hand you want water to drain, and on the other hand you don't want the parts to wear on each other. I installed mine with no sealer since any movement should be quite minimal. I also painted the wood with POR15, which is hard as nails. I figure by the time the floorboards wear or rot, I'll be long gone.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:30 pm

SteveT...not sure if you've done anything further on this but if you haven't, and you've decided to go the 5-speed route (I have), I highly recommend you deal directly with Peter Gamble at https://hi-gearengineering.co.uk/ rather than go through Moss. You'll save money and Peter is a delight to work with. Peter is notoriously slow answering emails so the best bet is to call him direct.

SteveT

Post by SteveT » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:30 pm

Thanks Gene, already been in touch with Peter and ordered a 5 speed. The hard part is waiting the 4 weeks delivery with all this lovely weather that's with us at the moment. I've done some tidying up while its stripped and fitted a heatshield so its been worthwhile. Not sure I'd go the interior route again as I'm sure it's easier going engine out. Anyway, appreciate the advice and I hope the 5 speed is the way to go. Thanks.
TC 6927