Mounting TC Front shocks on a TA

Discussion of TABC-related matters
TAMCARTHUR

Mounting TC Front shocks on a TA

Post by TAMCARTHUR » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 am

Several people have suggested that I install TC Girling front shocks on the TA I'm restoring. Has anybody done this swap?
I know the frame mounting holes are the same, but will the (straight) arm on a TC front shock line up with the link attached to the spring plate?It looks like the shock arm should be offset/have a bend...
Thanks!
Terry McArthur
'38 MGTA
'51 MGTD
'59 Frogeye Sprite

bloodysalmon

Re: Mounting TC Front shocks on a TA

Post by bloodysalmon » Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:48 am

I think the answer may be ... why? Why put TC shock on a TA? If you have the right shocks for a TA (the round ones) then use them. If you dont have either then it will be hard to find a set, that doesnt need a £150 each restoration, with links, seals, bushes and arms to fit. Would the performance be any better than the TA ones!
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

TAMCARTHUR

Post by TAMCARTHUR » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:50 am

The front shocks I've got are very old aftermarket replacements and completely frozen. I'm not opposed to rebuilding the aftermarket shocks if I can find a shop that can do it, but the suggestion that TC shocks would fit the car and easily rebuilt is also appealing...

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:18 am

If you are using TC shocks on a TA, why not just change to TC spring plates then the TC links et all should line up. BTW TC shocks are easy to sort out with a through clean inside and modern seals inserted.
John Cockrem TC2268