Re-chroming a TC.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

Re-chroming a TC.

Post by jddevel » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:52 am

Anyone in the UK able to recommend a reputable company to rechrome my bright work on a TC. Would also be helpful if having had theirs done an idea of cost please.

bloodysalmon

Re: Re-chroming a TC.

Post by bloodysalmon » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:17 pm

HI JDDevel (not sure of your name, nor where you are in UK) but I've been using 'Classics and Chrome Ltd' Unit 8, Hinckley Business Park, Brindley Rd, Hinckley, Leicestershire LE10 3BY. Not knowing what you need chroming I cant give you a price; but knowing what you have still wouldn't easy to price unless the parts are seen because of the cleaning, repair and polishing requirements will vary. Dave the proprietor is easy to talk to and pleasant too.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

antijam

Post by antijam » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:08 pm

A couple of others, Derby Plating Services in - you guessed it - Derby, and S&T Electroplate in Yate, near Bristol. Both produce top quality chrome plating and both are expensive. Contact them for a quote, but they'll probably want to see the parts before giving a firm price. S&T are very helpful if you need any repairs before refinishing.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:44 pm

Derby Plating are reputed to be one of the best, but as said, expensive. As an example of pricing they recently quoted me around £500 to do a radiator shell.

I've heard horror stories about poorly done chrome work peeling off after a year or two so I would suggest that personal recommendation based on experience is what is required here.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:39 am

Thanks all your the advice. The request was as a result of a local company who made a very poor job of chroming a `31 Hudson I owned. Cost wise again I respect the fact that you get what you pay for and understand I might have to travel/courier parts for quoting and the job sorting. Thanks again.

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:16 am

Derby Plating also quoted me £500 for my TC rad shell. The chap I spoke to also said one or two things that worried me slightly but I hope they are still the best because I have had excellent work done by them in the past including a magnificent Dodge Brothers rad shell which needed panel beating and an Austin Swallow rad shell which has lasted 20 years.

What I have been told is that certain members of their staff set up the aforementioned Classic & Chrome at Hinkley who have quickly gained a good reputation. I have not used them yet but I shall be doing so when circumstances improve.

antijam

Post by antijam » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:21 am

Going back through my files I find that S&T back in 2015 charged me £1591.20 to repair and rechrome the TC radiator shell, the headlamp bowls and rims, the windscreen parts, the radiator cap, the handbrake lever (I managed to dismantle it) and the mirror. They repaired the rad shell where it was worn through - typical problem from rubbing with the apron - and the other typical crack around the starter handle relief. They also replaced missing slat retention studs in the shell, and took a couple of dings out of the headlamp bowls.

If you're looking at rechroming everything - door and bonnet handles, sidescreen fixings, seat back adjusters, washers etc it may be worth comparing the cost of chroming against replacing with new parts; just about everything is currently available new and the cost of replating the originals may be more than replacement.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:20 am

As mentioned certain items are not worth re chroming. The process often polishes away detail and cannot be brought back easily. Radiator shells and headlamp buckets, windshield parts that are not available are the exception. I have a nicely re chromed set of bonnet handles on my car that upon close inspection have lost a good amount of detail, but they are good enough to use. The off shore made door handles, D lights, and other items I had purchased are much better and cost less than re chroming.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:04 am

More sound advice. Thank you

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:09 am

More sound advice. Thank you

Ray White

Post by Ray White » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Instead of rechroming the hand brake handle I have found that a surprisingly good result can be achieved by using a piece of self adhesive chrome effect wrap. Used mainly for bodywork it is also available in small quantities on eBay. You will need to prepare the surface well to achieve the best results. In addition to the peel off backing paper there is a thin protective film which can be a bit tricky to remove but I was amazed at how good it looked.

The petrol tank edges may also get the same treatment but you need to used a hair dryer to get it to stretch on the corners. I can do both the end panels and the hand brake for £5.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Doug P and I believe Roger F also, sell a chrome metal sleeve that slides over the brake handle. Once installed you can't tell it wasn't re-chromed.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

JohnW

Post by JohnW » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 am

I had a pair of head light reflectors re-silvered at Genius of the Lamp in Birmingham and the results were excellent. They also do all sorts of other plating including chrome. I have no idea what their chroming is like but if it is anything like the reflector silvering it will be good.