TC differential

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Franz

TC differential

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 am

Hello, I need some help for the rear axle for my TC.

My car grows up in Australia and I think in the unknown last 70 years the differential was broken and they changed it to a Holden one. The last owner in Germany died before I bought the car, so I can't ask him. I got with the car a lot of bills and papers, so I think to know that it is from Holden. I found also a bill from custom made half shafts because have different teeth.

In this Holden differential the part where you mount the prop shaft is not in the center. It is some centimeter to the right side and so the prop shaft tries to pull the rear axle to the right side. I fixed the front parts from the rear springs.

So I'm looking or a TC differential and hope someone can help me to find one.

I also read that it is possible to use a Morris Minor differential (pumpkin), but have to make a lot of machine things I don't know how to do.

Hello from Vienna

Franz

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: TC differential

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:29 am

Hopefully someone has a spare. I know you can buy them from Roger Furneaux and Doug Pelton but they will not be cheap. The Morris conversion does require machining the differential but no modification to the TC axle housing. You have to remove material from the mating face of the differential housing to move the center of the spider gears farther into the axle. Then drill some new holes, and make a stiffening ring to go onto the differential to make up for the metal you took off the back.

Someone here did a write-up on the conversion but I can't remember who it was.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:55 am

Thank you Steve,

I prefer the original differential, how much will it cost when I find one

Franz

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:57 am

hello Franz - it is possible that somebody has a spare one, but only because it is broken in some way!

I have enough parts to build you a "new" differential, but as Steve says, it is not cheap...because the cause of failure is often breakage of the centre housing, that the Crownwheel bolts to, I have had them re-made from billet steel, These alone cost 450GBP, although I also have some repaired ones for 150GBP.

A complete diff. rebuilt with new gears and taper-roller bearings is thus 1300GBP or 1000GBP according to centre housing

If anybody has a spare diff. hiding in their garage, we would like to know!

rgds

Roger

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:39 am

Hello Roger,

some minutes ago I wrote you a mail about this, remembered your company, I bought some ago parts from you, everything was perfect.

Thank you, I will think about, because I also need new half shafts and rear hubs.

What ratio will the differential have ?

Excuse my english is not perfect.

Franz

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:28 pm

One for sale now on the MG T-ABC group. Jan Johnson is the person with it. Not sure how to forward you his email but someone on here better with computers can I am sure

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:13 pm

Hi Franz,
the answer is very close, have a look here,

http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/diff.htm

and every thing is answered you want to know.

cheers Carl

Franz

Post by Franz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you Carl, very interesting, but I don’t know someone who can make this for me.
So I prefer to buy a original TC one.

Franz

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:02 am

Terry Sanders wrote that a very long time ago: he talks about visiting scrapyards to salvage diffs. from what are now long-extinct British cars! I have new CW&Ps in ratios of 8/41, 8/39, 8/37 and even 9/39 (a new high ratio I have had specially made, ideal for supercharged cars and Q-type replicas, which are much lighter than standard cars)

Roger

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:02 am

Roger, I`ve twice emailed you requesting a current price list of items you supply in particular for my TC restoration.

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:28 am

And I have twice replied! My new email address is roger(dot)46tc(curly at symbol)gmail(dot)com

Roger