steel panel removal from wood

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jddevel

steel panel removal from wood

Post by jddevel » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:13 pm

Any tips please on removing the steel panels from the timber tub on a TC to enable any repair/treatment of the wood. Concerned about the curved area above the hinges and any distortion to the metal I might cause.

bloodysalmon

Re: steel panel removal from wood

Post by bloodysalmon » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:16 pm

assuming your ash body is as bad as this one on TC4245, removing the metal skin is a must to rescue the original 1/4 panels ... especially the rear ones, as these are very difficult to replicate as an amateur. Having done this before you know how far to bend them out to allow the old wood to be prised out.
Find a tool to pull the pins out, if the heads snap it doesn't matter; ultimately you'll dint and stretch (a little) the metal skin, i wont matter as the refitting back to new timber will need adjustments. Dont assume the 2 front nor rear 1/4 panels will be the same shape and dimensions. The trickiest point is indeed the top of the rear 1/4 panel, often not at all rotten here and well stuck ... just bend it out it will go back

mind you, I just cant get any of my photos the right way round !!
Attachments
TC4245 180220 small.JPG
TC4245 180220 small.JPG (51.36 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
IMG_0507 (2).JPG
IMG_0507 (2).JPG (59.45 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
IMG_0510 (2).JPG
IMG_0510 (2).JPG (66.22 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 am

My experience (limited) is that not a lot of effort be put into removing the various pins, as the surrounding metal inevitably gets chewed up. I found that after using a sharp chisel to cut off the heads, I could easily pull the remaining shafts out with nippers or pliers.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

Mark McCombs

Post by Mark McCombs » Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 am

They do make a tool that looks like a screwdriver with a angled tip with a 'V' cut in it; This is ideal for getting under the nail head and pulling then out. Also remove the door hinges from the hinge post.

After all nails are out (there's always one more!), use this same tool to slightly bend out the inner lip of the rear quarter (not much) working your way around. Then, pull UP on the rear quarter, it will come straight up and off.

You may need to help the inside edge a little, but no more than needed, as if you reuse the rear quarters, you will need to rend it back over after re-installation.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:25 pm

In order to remove the sheet metal from the timbers, even if you manage to get the nails out, you will likely need to slip a thin blade 'tween the metal and timber to lift the metal slightly so that it frees up and will slip off. Don't worry as after you make your repairs you can slip it on again and simply tap the metal edge back down. That is how it was made in the first place and it can easily be done again.

jddevel

Post by jddevel » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 pm

Thanks all I feel much more convident now. Now as I`ve written on another site and to quote "throwing a curve ball" could tub construction be substituted wit plastic and manufactured using 3d printing. Traditionalists hands in air.

JPTC47

Post by JPTC47 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:59 pm

HI JD - a bit late to see your thread, which interests me because my TC in fact had every inch of wood removed by its hillclimbing po back in the early 60s, and I would actually like to reverse the process in some areas so that I may reintroduce some originality; eg the firewall is non-original (I have a replacement), so the inner and outer hoops will go back in; and the wooden frame around the front quarter panels, where currently there is an unseemly amount of "bog". I have emailed you to see whether you still have any leftover wooden pieces from which I could make copies? Also, your question about 3D printing of some other material is of great interest! Yours, John.
John Hall.