TC Oil Can Bracket

Discussion of TABC-related matters
timandgerda

TC Oil Can Bracket

Post by timandgerda » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:05 am

A quick question - I am doing a few little jobs amongst the major parts of my TC restoration and fancy having a go at making the spare oil can bracket that fits on the bulkhead. I have the oil can for sizing but can someone let me know what flat bar steel is used for the bracket i.e. is it 20mm x 3mm or 25 x 2mm etc etc (imperial size originally of course I guess or were they all wire construction?) :)
Thanks in advance.
Tim

TC9800

Re: TC Oil Can Bracket

Post by TC9800 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:51 am

Bracket shown in attached image. I found drilling the front of the battery box is most easily done with the engine removed.

ROGER FURNEAUX

Post by ROGER FURNEAUX » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:25 am

hi Tim - why bother, when they are available ready made? But in answer to your question, mine (not original but bought from Mike Collingborn many years ago) is 25 x 2.5mm (probably 1" x 12gauge). You then have to make the base by metal-spinning, and have the slip made out of spring steel.

Roger

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:02 am

I've made these up myself using strap steel bought at the hardware store. The base can be easily made from 22 ga. by simply bending a right angle with a pair pliers and a bit of dolly work to clean up the edge. The retainer can be made from bicycle spoke or similar. There is not much springing required to retain the oil can. Drill a few holes, a touch of black, paint and you are ready to go. Nobody looks that closely at the bracket, what is more apparent is the nice graphics on the oil can. Don't like Duckham's, how about a nice early Castrol can?
castrol.JPG
castrol.JPG (48.32 KiB) Viewed 1240 times