TC gas tank from Moss

Discussion of TABC-related matters
John Cockrem

TC gas tank from Moss

Post by John Cockrem » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:47 pm

Has anyone bought a new gas/petrol tank from Moss, if so what are they like?
John Cockrem TC 2268 with a somewhat rusty tank!

bloodysalmon

Re: TC gas tank from Moss

Post by bloodysalmon » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:55 pm

May I suggest Mick and Darren at Sports Car Metalworks ... http://www.sportscarmetalworks.com/t-type-price-list

I have bought from them over the years and always keen to help. I have no vested interest in the business, just a customer.
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

antijam

Post by antijam » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:31 am

I bought a Moss tank for my restoration and wasn't impressed with the quality. A lot of filler was needed to obtain a smooth profile to the back surface before painting, but the main problem was the filler neck. This was very crudely formed to provide the lugs for fitting the fuel cap. I found it impossible to obtain a satisfactory fit of the cap and in the end I removed the neck from the old tank and fitted it onto the new. With hindsight I regret not restoring the original. This had rusted through in the bottom corners but could have easily been patched since the area is covered by the end plates and the gauge of material and integrity of profile were much better than the Moss tank.

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:54 am

Hi John,
Steve is very well known in the MMM world - he also supply TC tanks, no VAT to pay

Steve Gilbert 07368 685384 e-mail SJGilbert@hotmail.co.uk
Home address:
11 Pyrcroft Lane
Weybridge
Surrey
KT13 9XP
Tel/Fax: 01932 843712

cheers Carl

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:04 am

Although I prefer original panels whenever possible, I've always thought that if I needed one, I might buy a stainless unit from SCM. I have a stainless tank in my '67 BGT that was installed 50 years ago and has been in daily use for well over 100K miles, and it still literally looks brand new inside and out. Obviously a different design of course, so who knows if the stainless will stand up over time to the flex and vibration, but eliminating any chance of rust is very enticing!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:39 pm

Thank you Chris, Antijam,Carl and Steve.. I forgot to say I am in Australia and no one makes TC tanks here so it will have to come from the UK or US. Thing is I will have to buy it sight unseen. Chris I googled Mick and Darren, a good price and I think you are happy with their quality? Thanks Antijam, not surprised re Moss. Carl, Steve Gilbert gets serious thumbs up from John James of Totally T Type, I think there is a 12 month waiting list. I have emailed him so hopefully I`ll get a reply asap.
Couldn't find SCM down here on the net Steve,but I`me no computer wizz.
What about Doug Pelton. Has anyone any comment in the group re his tanks, they arn`t cheap but that could mean good quality.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:46 am

SCM is Sports Car Metalworks. I was just being lazy typing. Same link as Chris provided above. Last time I had dealings with them, it was owned by Michael Beakhouse. The email still uses his name but it appears they have changed hands.

I don't know who makes Doug's tanks but he generally has high quality items. Some of his stuff comes from Moss but I would be very surprised if that included sheet metal.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi Steve,
I got two tanks inthe last 2 years, one is from Steve Gibert, the L2 one, and the TC one came from
Sports Car Metalworks, both are very well made, and what I know both made by SCM,
SCM has the tools for the metalwork,
cheers Carl

bloodysalmon

Post by bloodysalmon » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:00 am

SCM hasn't changed owners as the father and son business still runs. His name is Michael Beakhouse but he calls himself Mick, so I did. His son (Darren) has been furloughed during the Corona virus ... they are more than likely back up and running now.
I too have used Steve Gilbert, he is excellent but timescales are often elongated ... he skinned my D-type tourer but did take a year away; stuff from Mick(SCM) doesn't tend to be longer than 4 weeks ... clearly both depend on the demand at the time
Chris Blood - TC2686& TC3615

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:09 am

Thank you again gentlemen for all your help and relevant comments. Carl, I am going with Steve Gilbert, your recomendation, and as I said, thumbs up all `round. Also Franz Tenbrock was very happy with his S.G, tank he tells me, and having seen pictures of his work, I think he's the way to go.
John Cockrem TC2268