Fuel Sending Unit Gasket

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Robert Brennan

Fuel Sending Unit Gasket

Post by Robert Brennan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:31 am

It was a glorious Saturday in Maine and I took advantage of the 50* temperature to fling open the garage doors and drain 7794's gas tank. I've probably purchased every under $35 fuel transfer pump over the years and never found one that did the job, but that didn't stop me from forking over $12.99 to NAPA yesterday for a (AS SEEN ON TV!) device that you bobbed up and down in the tank. Of course, it didn't work either and I ended up initiating the siphon, the old fashioned way, by mouth. Took out nearly 8 gallons and now I'm ready to install Doug Pelton's sending unit gasket. He didn't include any recommendations for sealant and I'm wondering what product works best. Not sure what soft plastic/rubber compound his gasket is made from, but it's definitely not a cork gasket.

Recommendations?

Robert Brennan
S. Freeport, ME
TC 7794EXU

DaveAhrendt

Re: Fuel Sending Unit Gasket

Post by DaveAhrendt » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:09 am

I've had good luck using Hylomar with Doug's gasket. Both times I've used it I had no leaks. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the float from filling up with gas and sinking. :x We need to get a vendor to produce a fuel level sender using the material used in the new carb floats.

If I remember correctly I asked Doug and he mentioned Hylomar.
Dave '46 TC 0524

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:04 am

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 am

You don't use the drain plug on the bottom of the tank?

My sender doesn't work, but it also doesn't leak so I'm not touching it! ;)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 am

No Steve, I'm a chicken and didn't want to be in a situation where gas was spraying all over the garage floor. Now that the gas is drained, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to give the old girl's tank a vinegar douche and use that drain plug to empty it.

Bob

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:17 am

True, it can be messy. I use a big plastic tub, the kind you mix cement in. Then I pour it back in with a funnel, or transfer to a 5-gallon jug. A siphon would probably be nicer but getting it started is tough, and I'm too chicken to suck on a hose to get it started. Did it once when I was a kid and I still have the taste in my mouth.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 am

Got this in this morning's email:

Doug Pelton

7:53 AM (3 minutes ago)

to me

Hi bob,

There are many items available, the key is to make sure they are “gas resistant”. I used “seals all” found in Home Depot, works fine. Most recommend Hylomar. Yamabond is another.

Also make sure the flange on tank is flat and use sealant on the screws to prevent weeping along the threads. Do not over tighten.

Hope this helps. Best regards,

Doug Pelton

FROM THE FRAME UP, LLC

www.FromTheFrameUp.com

480-588-8185

Bob Brennan
S. Freeport, ME

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:03 am

I just don't understand why MG folks keep up wit this, apparent design flaw and keep on exchanging gaskets, units etc.
I myself was so fed up with this, also for safety reasons, that I made a nice stable stainless steel round lid, closed the hole forever and use dipstick and tripmeter for gaslevels and use the now free warning light on the dash for low pressure oil signal.I can now park my TC in closed spaces in hotelgarages etc and live more relaxed for sure!
Dirk
TC0660

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:54 am

Curious what you used for sealant on the "nice stable stainless steel round lid".
Bob

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 am

paper gasket with hylomar and a thread sealant on the bolts ( 3 mm ss bolts with capnuts on the outside ) Since 4 years dry and I have some gauges for sale or rather for give away. Can't ask money for that stuff:-))
Dirk

Clifford Jay Lockrow

Post by Clifford Jay Lockrow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:17 pm

I also got rid of the fool thing years ago. Made a aluminum plate and new gasket and it has not leaked since. I made a dipstick out of a fiberglas rod with the markings notched into it by gallons and no leaks.

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:50 pm

in the 28 years I have had my TC I have never seen the red low level light come on, as I check oil, water and gas before I drive away. So why bother with this crummy thing, have enough to do with the oil leaks, gas leaks are for me a safety item! Get rid of them asap:-)
after a life long career in the oilstorage business- allergic to gasoline leaks!

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:30 pm

"after a life long career in the oilstorage business", Dirk writes. And you still drive a TC !
Thanks for your input re: best sealant. I've decided to follow Doug Pelton's suggestion, and NAPA's and go with Seals All. Will let you know if it works.
Bob Brennan
S. Freeport, ME

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 pm

good luck and avoid underground parking lots:-)

TATerry

Post by TATerry » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:04 pm

To empty your tank, use your electric fuel pump.....and Seals All didnot work for me....I used Yamabond.
Terry

Robert Brennan

Post by Robert Brennan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Great! Just when I wade through all the opinions and hazard a choice, someone steps up and says "forget it". I unscrewed the tank's drain plug this morning and administered the aforementioned vinegar douche and was pleasantly surprised with the absence of rust and corruption that I was prepared for. Both gaskets that I removed were cork with blue diagonal stripes and looked perfectly OK. Except that they leaked.
Naturally, I would prefer to avoid the trauma of ingesting 7794's petrol again, and continue to solicit your experience and learned opinions. Yamabond, Permatex, Hylomar have various compounds that carry designated numbers, so please specify. Thanks.
Bob Brennan
S. Freeport, ME

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I used Seals All on my Y-Type's sender unit and it worked. I know others who have used it successfully as well, but I suppose it doesn't work perfectly in every possible situation.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:33 am

JB Weld, no gaskets, be sure to dope up all the screws and cover plate, terminal post, etc and allow to set up prior to adding petrol.

John Youens

Post by John Youens » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I also had issues with leakage even with a new gasket and liberal application of Hylomar. I finally removed the sending unit, laid it down flat on my welding table and carefully hammered out the warped points. (Disclaimer: I worked in a body shop when I was in school, so proceed cautiously if you are not familiar with "bumping metal".) When I reinstalled the sending unit, I coated both sides of the gasket and the base of each screw holding the unit in place with Hylomar. Also, the Hylomar that I used is the "Advanced Formulation Gasket & Jointing Compound" that comes in the silver and green box. This was a year a half and 4600 miles ago, and I haven't had a single drop of gas leak out since.

John

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:51 pm

Anybody ever thought about the fact why most of them start leaking?
Could it be that the thin tank side easely bulges under variable loads from driving conditions etc. and the "monkey metal" sender material does not so easily ?