Looking for Dad's TD (like many before me, I'm sure)

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Jay Laifman

Looking for Dad's TD (like many before me, I'm sure)

Post by Jay Laifman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 am

Hi. I'm looking for my dad's TD. He raced it in Southern California in the early 50s - and I have a number of trophies and dash plaques from his successes. I don't have a lot of information on the car, and I can only expect that it has long since been put to pasture. But, I will do what I can. I just came across two slides (actually 3D slides) of the car. Once I have them scanned (however that is done), I will post the pictures.

Here is what I know from the pictures: it was green, with a MotoMeter radiator cap, with wings. It had the front license plate: IT63422. It looks like he had the fenders and sides of the car painted a goldish redish color, with the side curving down through the bonnet and side door. But it looks like the whole part is painted, not just a "spear" like I've seen on others. There might have been some pin striping as part of that painting (as dad used to tell a story of some famous guy, whose name I can't remember, doing the job with a shaky hand that turned to rock the second the brush touched the car). I think it might have louvers on the top of the bonnet.

Finally, at some point he put a 6 cylinder Studebaker engine in it.

I don't know exactly but he probably sold it in the mid 50s, when he bought a new XK120, which he went on to race too. I have no details on that car.

I know it's a long shot. But I figured it's worth a shot.

Jay Laifman

Re: Looking for Dad's TD (like many before me, I'm sure)

Post by Jay Laifman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:45 am

Here is the picture of my dad's TD. This is a rough copy. It is from a 3D viewer. The picture through the viewer is amazing. But this is a shot with my cell phone through one of the eyes of the viewer! When I figure out how to get a better picture, I'll post it too.

On this picture, it's harder to make out the green that runs the side of the bonnet and curves down. But it does show the louvers, general paint scheme, and license plate. Anyone know a police officer who might just let us know if that plate is connected to a registered car in California? (Or one in Illinois for my dad's 911 that he sold there in 1976 - I have the VIN on that one).
Attachments
MG TD Dads.jpg

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:24 am

Here are some more details I've since learned from something dad wrote ages ago:

My dad took it to International Motors, in LA on Sunset Boulevard, where Ken Miles was the head of the service department, and Phil Hill was a young mechanic who tuned the car.

The engine was a '41 Studebaker straight 6 and 3 speed OD transmission. A Ford column shift was cut about 4 inches and located horizontally at the rear of the transmission. The firewall was cut back and the battery moved. The exhaust was two 3-to-1 headers going to dual pipes all the way back (like his later XK120) The heads and carbs were Vic Edelbrock's aluminum. And it had a heavy duty radiator.

The louvers were by "an old guy with a set of dies, named Emil Dietz. Emil had hand-built the beautiful aluminum Eddie “Rochester” Anderson's roadster, but was better known as the body maker for the Meyer-Draker/Offenhause/Deitz Indy cars that dominated the circuit. The car's louvres were hand-stripped by an ex-Packard man when von Dutch was still learning a trade."

Yeah, I know that the extent of these engine changes may make it even more unlikely that it is still out there.

Interesting that Ken Miles may have had contact with this car. Ken went on to be the first one to make a prototype Sunbeam Tiger for Rootes (because Shelby was taking too long). And, dad's last car was actually a Sunbeam Tiger (which I now own). Who knows, maybe this car helped Ken in that project!

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:17 am

I've seen a number of TDs in the past few years where aftermarket engines were replaced with original types. So perhaps your dad's was one of them and it's still out there. Here's hoping!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:11 am

For what it is worth, I spoke to a buddy of my dad's who knew the car. He said the color of the fenders and grille, etc., was copper.

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 am

Well I found a TD that has a similar color scheme, louvers and a different radiator cap. But not close enough! But, it's also a neat web site with pictures of cars from movies that I'd never seen before:

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_15329-MG-TD-1950.html
Attachments
mg td with similar scheme.jpg

LaVerne Downey

Post by LaVerne Downey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:58 am

I f you had the car number, you might have a shot at finding it through a register list like this...

http://www.ttalk.info/MersonListold.htm

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:03 am

A slight update. I happened to see Vic Edlebrock at the Laguna Seca Reunion races last month. I mentioned my dad's TD with Studebaker 6 with his head and carbs. He said that he never had them for that engine. I'm sure my dad was not wrong that he had modified heads, intake and carbs for the engine. I guess they were not Edlebrocks though (assuming that Vic correctly remembers that he never had such parts available).

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:34 am

Hi guys. Bouncing. Still looking.

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Tried to repair the photo in Photoshop to get to the true colors and proper contrast. Here is my best shot at it.
Attachments
MG TD Dads Enhanced_edited-1.jpg
MG TD Dads Enhanced_edited-1.jpg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 6766 times

Tom P

Post by Tom P » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:28 pm

And Jay, not sure if you are familiar with Tam's old race car site http://www.tamsoldracecarsite.net/ but he has a lot of period photos there. You might just spot Dad on the track or in the background. Good luck. Tom

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:49 am

One of the early (around 1951) successful engine mods to the TC was a Ford V8-60 which is a very small V8. These had a lot of fastest lap records within class at various races, and did well in endurance events.

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:42 am

Huge thanks and kudos for Tom's great computer skills!!!

I have also been emailing mechanics in the So Cal and No Cal areas to see if they've seen the car. Of course, no luck so far. But one of them said, "well in 35 years, I've never seen that car. But, I happen to have this one for sale ...." And that car is soooo tempting. But no, I'm holding out for this one. Besides, since I already have a couple fun cars, if I show up with another one, without a hook like it was my dad's car, I think my wife will kill me!

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Wed May 10, 2017 11:10 am

I found TWO TDs with Studebaker engines in Marshall Texas! Anyone here in Marshall who could look at them for me?

FYI, also learned that the manifold was likely an Offy.

Jay Laifman

Post by Jay Laifman » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:46 am

This is just a blatant bump in case there are new eyes here on the site.

Though here is another TD with Studebaker engine that I found. It is not my dad's.
Attachments
TD Studebaker.jpg
TD Studebaker.jpg (60.62 KiB) Viewed 3405 times