Floorboards

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Floorboards

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:08 pm

I've removed the floorboards in TC8975 to address unrelated issues. Now that they are out, I notice that they were never coated with anything and the underside is covered in road grime and oil. Otherwise they are in good order. So the question becomes...

A) Re-use or replace?
B) If replace, buy them or make my own? Moss charges $225 and Abingdon charges $180 per pair.
C) If re-use, do I try to coat them in something despite all the oil and grime they have soaked up on the underside? Or leave them as they are and hope they don't rot out?

Also when re-mounting them, are people putting anything between frame and floorboards? The previous owner put silicon sealer around all four sides, which actually made it difficult to get them out. I had to dig it all out of the joints before the floorboards would move. I was thinking of smearing some on the rails to keep moisture away from the wood/metal mating surfaces and to prevent squeaks.

Last, how structural are the floorboards really? I know floorboards are help to reduce chassis flex / twist, but the securing screws on TCs are fairly small so I'm not sure they are doing all that much.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Stan Teitge

Re: Floorboards

Post by Stan Teitge » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I made my own and treated them with preservative. The originals were likely multi layered Baltic Birch or similar.
Very strong compared to most north American plywood. The ply will likely not rot if left to dry and there is no moisture trapped under the carpets or such. Just my opinion as a wood worker.

Stan Teitge TC 6680

olson_gene

Post by olson_gene » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:36 pm

Steve Simmons wrote: Last, how structural are the floorboards really? I know floorboards are help to reduce chassis flex / twist, but the securing screws on TCs are fairly small so I'm not sure they are doing all that much.
Chassis flex in a TC? you must be joking, the chassis is solid as a rock. :lol: the doors pop open because of the auto open feature. the alarming movement of the doors in reference to the scuttle is part of the automatic weight distribution program. You think plywood 12 inches wide will interfere with the chassis wiggling over bumps.

I don't think you will notice any difference with floorboards screwed down or just laying in place.
Gene Olson
Simi Valley
Southern California

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:08 pm

True, I try to keep my fingers away from the door jams while driving. My fingertips fit in the gap when at a stop, and the gap closes about halfway on a bumpy road. :eek: Every little bit helps!

The car actually used to be MUCH more solid than it is now, but I've put a lot of miles on it (not always on paved roads) without tightening the hardware. So now with two big trips on the horizon, I'm going through the car from stem to stern.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:29 am

Hi, I covered the underneath with aluminium ribbed plate where the exaust runs.
Rest, as per Stan's advice, just wood preserve.
Dir

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:45 am

If the floors you have are in good shape, clean 'em up a bit and give them a coat of black Rustoleum or whatever, same with the rails they sit on. Do not use sealant between the wood and the chassis. TC's leak in the rain, if you get water inside it should be able to drain out rather than sitting in the interior, old Morgan trick.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:50 am

Thanks all. After closer inspection, my floorboards are cheap, thin plywood. I can bend them by hand. I think I'l just do it right and buy new. Any suggestions on where to shop? Moss carries them although their price
is higher than others I've seen. Perhaps the quality warrants the price?
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Norman Tuck

Post by Norman Tuck » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:07 am

I just cut new ones out of 1/2" or 3/8" MARINE plywood, and painted them with black rustolium. I used a jug saw and traced the old ones as a pattern. I rounded over the edges with a router. It was pretty quick and easy and the marine plywood may be better than what Moss supplies.

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:36 pm

so did I and the waterproof Marine Plywood is the best! Cutting them out also easy!
Good Luck
Dirk

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:36 am

Did the same thing, got some nice birch plywood at Lowe's and zipped them out, treated with oil base paint and they will outlast me. Did the fuel tank backer that way also.