TC DASHBOARD COLOUR

Discussion of TABC-related matters
IAIN WRIGHT

TC DASHBOARD COLOUR

Post by IAIN WRIGHT » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:49 pm

As part of my TC restoration I would like to refinish its original wood dashboard (it's an early-ish 1946 car TC1365) so not rexine covered.
Can anyone advise what should be the correct finish/colour. What was the factory fitment ?
I see quite a few cars with a "golden" colour dash (elm?) but is this correct or simply the owners' choice.

Advice appreciated.

Iain
Glasgow Scotland

Tom Wilson

Re: TC DASHBOARD COLOUR

Post by Tom Wilson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Iain, dash was originally walnut veneer. Two pieces of book matched veneer with a joint in the center. Clear finish, at that time probably a couple coats of lacquer.
Walnut starts as a brown wood with a hint of purplish red when first cut, then changes to a rich brown over time with exposure to daylight.
Craig Seabrook will hopefully add some appropriate info for you.
Tom Wilson

Max Irvine

Post by Max Irvine » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I do not think book matched veneer is correct. According to Mike Sherril's "TC's Forever" page 227 the dash was straight grain honey walnut. He does not detail the finish but a couple of coats of clear satin finish is probably correct. Book matched burr walnut certainly looks nice though.

Peter deBruyn

Post by Peter deBruyn » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:51 am

Check any period factory photograph of the walnut fascia - the bookmatch is obvious.

Cheers, Pete