TC INSTRUMENT PANEL RESTORATION QUESTIONS

Discussion of TABC-related matters
shirelets

TC INSTRUMENT PANEL RESTORATION QUESTIONS

Post by shirelets » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:50 am

Well, I DIY renovated the bronze panel (long fiddly job mind you) on my 1949 TC some 20 years ago using bronze paint from Moss and Letraset (in the UK) black lettering, protected by Letraset sealing spray. Trouble is, two decades of pulling choke and starters have flexed the quite thin panel and caused the paint to chip badly. So, time to attack it again!

Has anyone come across this flexing problem and/or fitted a strengthening strip or panel behind the instrument panel itself? My thought is to put a steel strip perhaps 2mm thick behind those two knobs at least

Does anyone know the proper font size of lettering required as I'll have to source it and have forgotten the original, though note that Octagon here in the UK do a lettering set for about £15 which may be best approach.

I made four simple aluminium brackets screwed to the wooden dash to house the two lampholders either side of the speedo and rev counter guages, but not terribly successful as holders keep popping out! Any ideas please?

Any other suggestions on panel renovation (other than forking out £300 for a new one) gratefully received!

Les - from across the pond in northern England