Removeable Steering wheel

Discussion of TABC-related matters
LaVerne Downey

Removeable Steering wheel

Post by LaVerne Downey » Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:44 am

So we got Bill's TC moving after a 40 year nap...go here if you would like to see the moment..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97G-RTs ... vF1IvslpOQ

I have the wheel up as far as it will go and as you can see there isn't much room for getting your foot in there. Gene suggested removing and replacing the wheel when getting in or out. I like the idea. I'm wondering if anybody has used a bicycle quick release in place of the clamp bolt to make it handy?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Removeable Steering wheel

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:09 am

I have seen it done. I'm not sure if it was from a seat collar, or if it was from a wheel hub and then cut and re-threaded. But I would be sure to buy a steel one in case you need to thread it.

I've thought about doing this many times, and since i have a box full of old quick release skewers somewhere, maybe I'll look into it.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:32 am

[img][img][/img][/img]I have done it, used a Shimano bicycle seat post clamp, it fits in the recess of the boss and is a great help for getting in/out with height over 6' 4"! Also best anti theft gadget in the style of mr. bean!
Alternatively you can use a smaller dia Moto Lita wheel ( from Moss) which has a screw ring to tighten down the boss on the rod. Has two, features , smaller dia and removable ! ( but not original :-(. )
Dirk
Attachments
IMG_1100.jpeg
IMG_1100.jpeg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 5068 times
Last edited by dirk w dondorp on Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 am

Digby Elliott, near Salisbury UK has a nice quick release unit available for original type steering wheels.
Whatever you use, it should clamp with enough force to hold the wheel secure and tight on the splines.
Tom Wilson

David Edgar

Post by David Edgar » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:35 am

Are you talking about completely removing the wheel or just sliding it in and out some? To give more leg room entering and exiting shift your butt to the left. Even sitting on the tunnel if you need to will be easier than removing the wheel entirely each time. Buying a smaller wheel will help as well. Original wheel is 17" OD and I have a 15" Moto-Lita wood rim wheel. Save the original for shows if you want.
David Edgar, 1948 TC 5108 / XPAG 5801
Owned since November 1967

bar20

Post by bar20 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:06 pm

There is a 15 1/2" Brooklands Wheel available that you can put in that will give you more room. It's available on e-bay from a seller in GB. As soon as I find an extra $400.00 I'm going to order one. I have the same problem as you do. For right now try leaning your upper torso as far left as you can then slide your feet in. When getting out do the same thing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231065257418?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Buckles

Post by Buckles » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:05 am

Because I am 6'4" I was keen to get a Brooklands 15" steering wheel to give me a little more leg room while driving. I suppose it helps getting in and out, but because my knees are up so high I needed the additional room between the rim and my thighs for driving. Fortunately I am slim (mostly) so that helps.
I bought the wheel last year when I was in the UK direct from the maker and it is now fitted.
I just want to comment about the use of quick release clamps and my experience with my original wheel when I tried to go down that track. An easily removable wheel would be so handy for some maintenance in addition to getting in and out of the car. I have many friends with TCs and I believe that most of their steering wheels are not tight on the spline and that is not a good thing, as Tom intimates. I made one but I could not get it to clamp sufficiently tightly on the spline no matter how much I tightened it and I gave up. My steering column is pushed up as high as it will go towards the dashboard to assist with my leg room issues and getting in/out. I was worried that clamp lever might foul the bottom of the dashboard and lock or reduce the steering 'if' the steering wheel moved on the spline after it was tightened while driving. Of course this could have disastrous results.
I hope I have explained my concerns clearly

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

I use my (adapted) Shimano seat post clamp and have no problems with clamping down.
Always check after clamping if the wheel does not move by hard pulling upwards.
Indeed, the wheel/boss needs the clearance from the dash, mine is also as high up as possible but enough "meat" on the spline left with the nescessary clearance from the clamp and the dash. The handle of the clamp should face towards the driver, away from the dash in the clamped -down position! After while you do know its minimum "up" position.
Could it be that the spline or the boss has excessive wear on those wheels that cannot be clamped down??
PS: My steering rod is new (VW conversion)

Buckles

Post by Buckles » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 am

I am sure you are right Dirk. My new Brooklands wheel was quite loose in the original TC steering shaft and I measured the shaft and there was only .002" variation. I bit the bullet and decided to close the gap in the boss by using a vice carefully and with the jaws covered. Initially the gap just went back to the same as before so I squeezed a little tighter. It is now a tight fit to install and you cannot remove it without using something to open the split. Yesterday I made a wedge which is fitted to a 4" g clamp and that make removal reasonably simple, but of course not as convenient as a bicycle type clamp.