Abingdon records

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Jim Shade

Abingdon records

Post by Jim Shade » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Are the personnel records of Abingdon available,

and if so, how might I access them?

I want to determine if there was a man named Derek employed there in October of 1946.
Jim Shade
West Covina CA, USA
(626) 332-2938

Tom Wilson

Re: Abingdon records

Post by Tom Wilson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I have copies of some of these records. Give me as much info about the source of your info - from the photo it looks like a scrap of paper. Where did the paper come from? If in the car, exactly where?
Tom wilson

Jim Shade

Post by Jim Shade » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:26 pm

T-ABC member Bud Silvers was repairing the seat of his TC and found that scrap of paper with what appears to be the name "Derek". I'm guessing that Derek was an employee of the MG factory and wanted immortality ;-) I thought it would be interesting to identify Derek - and who knows, he might still be alive; Bud's car left the factory October 1946.
Jim Shade
West Covina CA, USA
(626) 332-2938

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:56 am

Bud, Jim, and others -
The personnel records of Abingdon won't help to find out more about "Derek" whose name appeared on a scrap of paper in the seat back that Bud disassembled. All TC interiors were manufactured at Morris Bodies Branch in Coventry, the same place the tubs were manufactured. There was a big trim department there that made all interiors for all Nuffield vehicles at that time (including most of the Riley ones, though Victor Riley in his independent way insisted on continuing to make some of his own).
Tubs were manufactured there, painted, and then the interior trim was installed. The windscreen went on (with wipers), the hood (convertible top) installed, side curtains stuck into the storage slot, inspected, then it was ready for the trip to Abingdon.
The tubs made the entire trip from bare wood frame to the top deck of Abingdon on an angle iron sled. Photos show these sleds repeatedly used as they have several layers of paint.

So the answer to Jim's question is Derek wouldn't have worked at Abingdon, but at the trim shop at Bodies Branch in Coventry. No way to easily trace that as those records are long gone.

Also - things often worked their way into the breather holes in the back of the seat squabs and settled into the bottom stuffing area. I've found interesting things there before.

Tom Wilson
TC0272, TC0273, TC0279

Are the personnel records of Abingdon available, and if so, how might I access them?
I want to determine if there was a man named Derek employed there in October of 1946.
Jim Shade

OOPS:
I almost forgot, there was a curious piece of paper with something written on it found in the stuffing of my old seat. If you go to the picture of my seat stuffing, then scroll down you will see it. Does anyone have any ideas what this was doing there? I can't prove it, but believe this was an original seat back and had never been re-upholstered. I think it might be a person who worked on seats who just stuck their name in one.
Here is the link again:
http://www.usaviator.net/automotive/MGTECH/seatback.htm
Thanks, and have a great day.
Bud Silvers
TC 1576 - Low n slo in the Black Forest of Colorado..