Seating in the TA

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Phil Dadd

Seating in the TA

Post by Phil Dadd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:56 pm

I have owned T Types since 1960 and until now have had no problem in getting in or out of the car. I have recently had spinal surgery and now have several metal plates, a handful of nuts and bolts and some epoxy glue in the lumbar section of my spine. In simple terms, I can no longer bend or twist.
The question is; how do I get in or out of my TA? I also own a post war Alvis DHC which has huge rear opening doors, so I am able to back into the door opening, place my backside on the seat and swivel the entire body without bending or twisting. Since doing this I have driven several thousand miles without any physical discomfort. But the MG doorway is so small that I cannot swing my body without the front of the door frame stopping my legs and feet. Having the steering wheel removed makes no difference. I simply cannot get my legs and feet into the car. The regular technique of placing the left leg into the footwell and twisting the lower body is now impossible as that part of the spine is locked into a solid state. (forgetting the pain and damage after effects)
I thought perhaps there is someone out there in TABC land who has had the same surgery and has found a way to use his car. Thanks in advance, Phil TA 2982

EdCallo

Re: Seating in the TA

Post by EdCallo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:04 am

Can you seat on the seat, slide your butt all the way over onto the passenger seat till your feet clear the door. Then swing your feet in and work back to the drivers seat? Just a thought.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:57 am

What if you remove the door stop that limits the size of the door opening? Perhaps the wider opening would allow you sit down on the seat first and pull your legs in after moving into position.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:49 pm

That isn't a bad suggestion. My TC is missing the straps, so the doors open all the way back. I never noticed until just now, but when I get in I always swing the door well past 90-degrees because it makes getting in much easier.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:01 pm

I do not know how far the original straps allowed the doors to open as mine are replacements, but with the top up and curtains on it is a bit snug getting past the door, particularly with a jacket on and into TC2911.

Phil Dadd

Post by Phil Dadd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:26 pm

Thanks Guys,
A couple of great and well considered ideas! The TA is fitted with a metal hinged rod to control the amount the door is opened -- not straps as in the TC. With this released, the seat back and seat squab are still in the same position -- as far back as it will go, for although I am only 5' 5", I have extensions on the pedals so that my body does not foul the steering wheel in getting close enough to drive the car. But I will persevere with this idea and try and explore the idea further. It will take me a while to check out Ed's idea as I have a centre console which has been permanently fastened over the tail shaft tunnel. I use the car for long distance touring and recently (before the spinal operation) drove the TA from one side of Australia to the other, about 4500 miles, so storage space was at a premium. Because I am old school, I still open the door for my passenger, so she will be sitting in the passenger seat when I get in. On my back and with my head in her lap as I get into the car does conjure up all manner of strange thoughts! It will take me a while to remove the console as well making sure she has a sense of humour on the day that I try this idea.
Of course it has been suggested that I use a sky hook. But then Australia is filled with comedians!
Phil

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:22 am

With the door limits defeated, it allows you to step forward into the cockpit rather than sideways. Might be worth a try. I put my left foot in, then slide into the car at an angle. Last, I pull my right leg in. But this may be where you get snagged.

This may not be the most elegant idea, but what about one of those lightweight folding stools that collapse into nothing. With the door limiter removed, you could sit on that, get both legs into the foot well, then scoot your rear sideways onto the car seat. Then just grab the stool, collapse it and drop it behind the seat, or into the passenger foot well. They make a type that folds really small.

The things we go through for our love of these cars. :)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Phil Dadd

Post by Phil Dadd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:19 am

Thanks Steve, another brilliant idea. The folding seat I have is too low and with the running board in place I am almost lying on my back with my legs in the car. I'm not sure how I am going to get my upper body in from this position-- maybe arms on the stool which will allow me something to push up from. Will persevere and try with a higher stool when I can find one. I had a call from a friend who suggested I stand on the seat and slide my body down into the car. The current steering wheel is too big, so will look to find something smaller -- say a sports wheel from a Mini. You would think that after 55 years of owning one of these I would have come to my senses and sold it!

Phil Dadd

Post by Phil Dadd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:21 am

Thanks Steve, another brilliant idea. The folding seat I have is too low and with the running board in place I am almost lying on my back with my legs in the car. I'm not sure how I am going to get my upper body in from this position-- maybe arms on the stool which will allow me something to push up from. Will persevere and try with a higher stool when I can find one. I had a call from a friend who suggested I stand on the seat and slide my body down into the car. The current steering wheel is too big, so will look to find something smaller -- say a sports wheel from a Mini. You would think that after 55 years of owning one of these I would have come to my senses and sold it. If I even thought of this, my children and grandchildren would disown me.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:55 am

Phil, the TC has the same hinged metal rod arrangement as the TA, no straps, and this could be removed if it would gain you some maneuvering space.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:50 am

The steering wheel is easily removable. You can even replace the bolt with a lever, similar to pre-war cars. And on the stool idea, maybe a wheeled version would make it easier to slide into position.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

Phil Dadd

Post by Phil Dadd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks Steve, I already have one of these clamps as removing the steering wheel was one of my first thoughts. I had a P type until about 6 years ago and needed one for that car. I tried most of yours and Stephen's ideas yesterday but had to cease because of the pain level. I am awaiting a right hip replacement, but this cannot be done until the spine surgery has completely healed. FYI, I will be 80 this year and had planned to drive the TA around Australia. In preparation I have rebuilt the entire drive train, engine, diff, gearbox, clutch and generator. As mentioned, I have it set up for touring with telescoping shocks (these were on the car I bought it years ago and because of the forged and numbered mountings, could be an after market product?). I replaced the Bishop's box with a Datsun about 20 years ago and with inflatable seats (standard original in TA's) it is a beautiful touring vehicle. I used a TC as my commuting vehicle during the 1960's and 1970's and from this and having driven the TA around most of the Australian States, I consider the much maligned TA to be the equal of the TC. In its defence, it is the only T Type or MG ever to win the Grand Prix (Australia 1938). But without getting into difficulties and comparing, having driven all model T's for over 60 years, they are all nice little motor cars. Most people from the Northern hemisphere do not realise that OZ has a land mass only a little smaller than that of the USA with the distance between Perth and Sydney being similar to that of New York to LA. My wish is to circumnavigate our country while I am still able, so with a rebuilt car, a rebuilt Spine and new hip, I will be ready to go --- as soon as we can solve the getting and out of the car problem! By the way, my partner and I usually travel solo, without support vehicles --- such is my faith in our little cars!

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:07 pm

What did stock look like?
Last edited by Duncan M on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Australia is almost as large as the US, with a whole lot more open space! Should be a great trip and I share your passion about traveling without a support vehicle. Having a modern car follow you takes all of the fun and adventure out of traveling by vintage automobile. And it doesn't say much for one's faith in his own mechanical skills, either!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

John Frederick Cockrem

Post by John Frederick Cockrem » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:28 pm

Phil have you considered bucket seats? I have Healey 100 seats in my TC as I am long legged.Set back as far as possible without rebating the wheel arch theres a lot more gap to get the foot and legs in and out, with the arch rebated theres even more.I can't believe the extra room in Doug Morrissy`s and Geoff Norwell`s TCs with the rebated arch.I can't bring myself to do that!
You would have to have the seats on runners of course, If you are coming to Melb for the National Rally in March you are welcome to try my set up, and I am sure Doug would would be happy for you to try his.
John Cockrem TC 2268

Phil Dadd

Post by Phil Dadd » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:51 am

Thanks John, bucket seats are something I had not considered. I will not be able to attend the Natmeet over Easter, but am attending the Alvis Rally in South Australia in May. Planning to return to Sydney via the Great Ocean Road, thence to Melbourne to visit my family (I was educated at MBHS in South Yarra). If you are happy to give me your details I will contact you whilst there and perhaps have a chance to check out the rebated cars as well. I am assuming you are in Melbourne, but if not I will be coming in from the South West and leaving via the North East which gives me a fairly good coverage of the State. Thanks again for your response --- in fact the very positive responses and worthwhile suggestions from the TABC fraternity from all over the world has made me feel quite humble and proud to be associated with such a dedicated group of MG enthusiasts.
Phil

John Frederick Cockrem

Post by John Frederick Cockrem » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Hi Phil, More than happy to catch up in May. I live in Belgrave in the Dandenongs east of Melb and in easy reach of the Hume Hwy via Yea, Bonnie Doon and Benella. My phone no. 03 97526105. Always up for a chat and I agree TAs are fabulous cars, I have a close mate with one and I always enjoy a run in her.You may have heard of him Phil(another one)Cassie, not far from me so a get together will be arranged.
John C. TC 2268