Front axle

Discussion of TABC-related matters
frenchblatter

Front axle

Post by frenchblatter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that the front axle is mounted with the writing on the I beam facing the back.

Search as I may, I cannot find it.

Am I right?

Thanks.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Front axle

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:28 pm

Yes, writing toward the rear.

Then you have to decide whether to keep the wedges or get rid of them. And if you keep them, make sure they are turned the correct way. But I don't remember which way that is! As my car came with Datsun steering, my wedges are long gone.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:15 pm

I have the wedges and know which way round they go as one is stuck on :)

Thanks Steve, I thought I was dreaming when I couldn't find the article.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:49 am

Norman-
Of course this TABC site has the best "resources" section of tech articles; for those that do not already know. The well known Jim Buell TC front end article gives pretty much all the figures and methods you may need to ensure the front axle is set up correctly (camber, straightness, etc.) May be easier if you still have the front axle loose from the car? this one: http://www.mg-tabc.org/library/Buell-TC ... 3rd-ed.pdf
And this (pdf) Clive Sherriff article in the "special files" section is a good overview, perhaps, for people as yourself, with the TC taken down to the bare chassis. http://www.mg-tabc.org/special-files/ta ... eering.pdf Of course the TC's Forever by Michael Sherrell also goes over the frame checking and straightening, along with various techniques for such, in pretty thorough detail. If you do not have a copy of that book yet, I can send you that detail separately, if you like. Have fun!
Duncan-

antijam

Post by antijam » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:37 pm

I've just asked myself the same question - and remembered that 'TC's forever', among its wealth of useful data, confirms the lettering is to the rear.
2-P1270230.JPG
(my garage is a little crowded at the moment!)

Also following Michael Sherrell's advice, I've chosen to leave the wedges out - be interesting to see just how heavy the steering will be.
3-P1270231.JPG
Nick

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:56 pm

I have left the wedges our of my front end and have not found the steering to be heavy at all.
Steve

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:46 pm

I'm assuming the wedge increases the camber angle for for self centering. I'll leave mine in for now and maybe try the steering without after I'm used to it. Haven't driven a TC since about 1962. And even then it wasn't far as I didn't have a licence until 1964.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:33 pm

Duncan, in all my rush I forget to thank you for the links. I have both of those printed out on my desk and look as I may I can't find the reference to the lettering facing the rear. One says to make sure the King Pins are sloping backwards.

All sorted now the rest of the chassis paint should be here by Tuesday morning and I may get it back on wheels by the weekend.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:55 pm

Norman-

The Clive Sherriff article does mention the lettering to the back of the axle, on page 3, in the paragraph just before "kingpins." Things are looking good. Have fun!
Duncan-
Last edited by Duncan M on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 pm

G,day.Even if your beam axle is correct way round please make sure stub axles are on correct sides .
I,m sure they would be but in my case were wrong side so that nuts for cotter pin were at the back and castle nuts undid with the rotation of wheels.
Thank goodness split pins were in.
My car has a Datsun steering box and has nice light steering.Does not wander .
Cant remember if wedges fitted but is a very late 49 model and may be different from memory.
Only problem is new cotter pins must have longer heads and prevented nice tight U turns.
I have ground down but still could be better but in the past there has been evidence of tyres rubbing inside the guard so need to consider that as well. Ian

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Ian, Mine is a 1949, November so just a few from the end. (73 to be exact). The king pins are on the correct side but thanks for pointing it out. Mine was laid up in 1967 and has never been rebuilt before. It did 95,784 miles before being put on bricks and left for 48 years. I'm not sure if the king pins have been changed as there was a old kit in the toolbox. I have a new kit and will be changing them when I've got the axle back on. I think it'll be easier when held on the car (with no body to get in the way) than trying to hold the axle in a vice. I will rebuild the steering box as I think the original box with 1.5 turns lock-to-lock is one of the charms of the TC. As long as you don't try and turn the steering when stationary they are fine. They wear and break when the wheel is turned when stationary, it's too much pressure on the box.

Anyway, that's probably 2 or 3 months away yet. Engine and gearbox next.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website