Legit or not? Mecha-Tronics voltage regulator conversion

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Duncan M

Legit or not? Mecha-Tronics voltage regulator conversion

Post by Duncan M » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:38 pm

I have the original RF95 voltage regulator that works well, along with the original C45 dynamo I have rebuilt. So, I am content, but always looking to the future. Apparently there is a "new" company calling itself "Vintage Mecha-Tronics" here: http://www.vintagemecha-tronics.com/index.php

I am curious if anyone knows anything about this Co?
Last edited by Duncan M on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: Modern RF95 regulator for TC? Strasburg, PA GOF appearan

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:11 am

I don't know of them but I know several others have offered this service over the years. Personally, I find no reason to modify this area of the car. My regulator was refurbished by Lucas in the 1940's, sat in a box until about 12 years ago, and has been in continuous service since with no issues. My other MGs have had no issues with theirs either. I think I've rebuilt two of them (one on MGA, one on MGB) in the past 25 years.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Duncan M

Re: Modern RF95 regulator for TC? Strasburg, PA GOF appearan

Post by Duncan M » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:49 am

Why? Thought I covered that pretty well in the original post.
Last edited by Duncan M on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaveAhrendt

Re: Legit or not? Mecha-Tronics voltage regulator conversion

Post by DaveAhrendt » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:47 am

Hi Duncan,

Well, I'd like to think we're legit! Sorry for the delay in responding but I generally use the Yahoo groups e-mail reflector for the T-ABC group and forget to check here. I'm Dave Ahrendt, one of the two partners in Vintage Mecha-Tronics along with Dean Sprague. We are both long time T series owners. Dean's '53 TD has been in the family since new and we've had our '46 TC for about 20 years. My wife Kathy is the website manager for the NEMGTR. I am a member of NEMGTR, SEMGTR and NAMGAR.

I was, indeed, at Strasburg, PA but since we drive our TC to events there isn't room for tents, tables, banners, etc. A sample regulator and some FAQ literature were on the luggage rack of the TC during the car display. I did get to talk to a number people and handed out a bunch of paper. Our next and probably last big event for the year will be at the SEMGTR GOF in Macon, GA next month. Look for a green '46 TC or a yellow '53 TD. We'll have our samples and literature with us.

The reason for Vintage Mecha-Tronics is exactly what you said. The existing electro-mechanical regulators are generally not reliable or accurate even if you pay extra for the "pre-adjusted" version. Dean had a number of issues with failing/drifting regulators and decided to build an electronic replacement. Our device is a microprocessor controlled digital regulator which will maintain the battery properly and protect the generator from overloading.

You were probably thinking of Bob Jeffers of Wilton Auto Electric in Wilton, NH. Bob did an analog replacement electronic regulator but that stopped when Bob died.

At present, we do only accept checks for payment as it has the lowest overhead. Perhaps in the future we'll set up an on-line store but for one current product it seems a little overkill. If you do send in a regulator with a check I guarantee that you'll get your regulator back :) We are working on getting some additional cores so we can provide a regulator without needing your existing unit. We have several RB106 5 post regulator cores available so we can provide quick turnaround but no guarantee on date codes. The website currently states a two week turnaround. If we know what you are sending in and have all the setup info we can generally get it back to you in a few days unless we are both at a GOF such as Macon, GA where we'll both be away for a week or so.

Use the Contact Us link at http://www.vintagemecha-tronics.com/index.php for more information.

I don't want to use this board as part of our shameless commerce division but if you have any questions give us a call or send us an e-mail.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave '46 TC 0524