copper brake lines

Discussion of TABC-related matters
ian theobald

Re: copper brake lines

Post by ian theobald » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Has road testing changed now in Vic? I thought NSW was the only state that had yearly road inspections apart from new cars for first 3 yrs.
When you see some of the cars in QLD you think how lucky , different size engines, modifications etc.
Only a problem when selling or change of ownership.
I looked at a TD for sale n Bendigo once with an MGB motor that had been in for many yrs but did not go ahead as would not of passed in NSW as Blue slip required and that modification would of needed an engineer to inspect and did not want the hassle.
Must admit cannot complain where I live as local mechanic who does inspections knows vehicle as have gone to him for many years .
He did not have time or space to do brakes but assisted me in honing wheel cylinders .
If Vehicle is on Club permit here in NSW then club inspects and 60 day limited use has just been introduced + club runs so if similar in VIC should not be a drama as long as club inspector has no issue.

John Frederick Cockrem

Post by John Frederick Cockrem » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:16 am

G`day again Ian, We don't have annual inspections in Vic, only need a roadworthy certificate if you sell the car.We do of course have a Club Permit Scheme with a Roadworthy Certificate required when you transfer to the scheme.I would say that the MG Club cars are well maintained by their owners as they probably are throughout the world and the Club relies on that kind of integrity.
My brake lines are the orig factory ones ,well clipped and armoured so I recon I`ll stick with them.
Funny in the 60s I had a TC fitted with a Holden grey motor and actually got it registered, carefree days! Its still around in QLD with a 4/44 motor.

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:02 am

G,day again.I once saw a TC for sale with a Holden Grey motor and reckon would of been a great motor combination. Motor also of similar vintage.
Never mind the purists as MGC,S are a 6 cylinder version of an MGB
About 3 yrs ago there was a Left hand drive TC for sale in W.A that had a V6 Nissan motor and Automatic transmission for $12,000 imported from US but don't think owner had any paper work and would of been a drama to get through any kind of registration.
I had thought about it as body looked ok but to try and alter back to some kind of standard running gear would of been a big hassle as well plus getting it over from W.A
If your brakes are original I,d leave alone. As for me ,I had no choice as pipes were hand bent copper pipe and were badly kinked leaving rear cylinders and cracked on removal.
As mentioned .Hoses looked perfect but were totally blocked ,so much so that could not blow though by mouth.

Off the subject . My fuel hose looked perfect just like my brake hoses .
I bent out the way when removing the air filter and next time went to start car fuel sprayed every where, Had cracked in half inside metal braiding.
Wrote a piece about that when fitting heat shield to cure vapour lock.
Only thing was that cause of vapour lock was actually a frozen piston on front carburettor and car had been running on only one since I first purchased some 2 yrs earlier.
Moral is that even if hoses look good externally they could be buggered inside with disastrous results.

Ross Taylor

Post by Ross Taylor » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:21 pm

It is not the problem of the copper lines bursting but splitting due to work hardening of the copper . the same problem that occurs with the oil lines to and from the oil filter, occasional annealing helps overcoming the problem.
The later model MGY's had a much heaver bracket fitted to the block to take the oil filter which overcame the failure of the oil lines, although the later lines fitted to the Y's were made of steel tubing.
Regards
Ross in Tea Gardens

John Frederick Cockrem

Post by John Frederick Cockrem » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:58 pm

G`day Ross, Absolutely right, splitting rather than bursting. The go is to make sure they are securely clipped. Most of my mates down here are running the orig pipes and haven`t had a problem, even Phil`s TA.
Yes the oil pipe saga. I run one of the old "Monaro Motors" after market alloy filter housings with reinforced rubber pipes…seen too many fractures, side of the road issues and damaged engines !