Seat back Upholstery

Discussion of TABC-related matters
LFD059

Seat back Upholstery

Post by LFD059 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone,
In rebuilding the TC "seat back" does anyone know if (1.) replacement horsehair is placed against the wooden seat back, (2.) the spring assembly is placed over it (3.) then another layer of horsehair is placed onto the outer springs (4.) then cover all in leather upholstery?. Uncertain if two sets of horsehair are used? I have checked the catalogs and TC's Forever and can't seem to find an answer. Thanks Chaps

Rich TC2177

Tom Wilson

Re: Seat back Upholstery

Post by Tom Wilson » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:55 pm

This is a brief description of the sequence of steps in assembling the seatback upholstery.

1. Carpet scraps attached to plywood back where spring case rests on the plywood. Spring case attached using scrap leather loops nailed into plywood.
2.Layer of burlap (you can use a light canvas as well) goes over the spring case.
3.Horsehair is placed, then loosely basted into position.
4. Cover is placed on.
5. Cotton wadding added where needed to fill or smooth areas, then the cover is tacked into place.
6. Bottom plywood section covered with vinyl - if you have a later TC (~TC1800 on)
7. Back vinyl cover installed.

Tom Wilson

LFD059

Re: Seat back Upholstery

Post by LFD059 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:45 pm

Tom,
Looks like you have done a few over the years! Very helpful and straight forward in outlining the steps to follow. I wasn't quite sure of the sequence or where the two sheets of batting material (horsehair) I received from MOSS fit. Seems they gave me two instead of the one needed.

I'll be working this weekend...
Thanks for the help

Rich