How to fix leak at Banjo fitting on brake M/C ?

Discussion of TABC-related matters
pleask

How to fix leak at Banjo fitting on brake M/C ?

Post by pleask » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Considering my recent posts can you guess what what I'm currently working on? :)

When I get the brake peddle up to a reasonable pressure to bleed the air out, I get a leak where the banjo joins the front/rear brake lines to the 3" rod of the M/C.

For once in my life, I was smart enough to buy some spare crush washers (FTFU) figuring this may happen somewhere along the line, but am hesitant to use them with our asking for some of your collective wisdom in this matter first on how to fix this. I have the nut tightened up as much as I dare....

I can think of only two things, either a fiber/rubber type seal with the copper washers, or get the faces of the banjo and 3" tube machined to ensure a perfect surface for the copper washers.

Any other ideas please? (or is this normal on a TC)
Pat

Eric Worpe

Re: How to fix leak at Banjo fitting on brake M/C ?

Post by Eric Worpe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:20 am

Hi Pat, Old copper washers will have work hardened and thus cannot deform to suit the sealing surfaces. The trick is to heat the copper washers up to bright red heat, which should anneal them. After heating they can be plunged into cold water to limit any further oxidization or just left to cool naturally. I'd be wary of using fibre washers, as they are prone to splitting under compression.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: How to fix leak at Banjo fitting on brake M/C ?

Post by Steve Simmons » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:34 am

I typically replace copper washers in the braking system after two uses. They're cheap, and I hate leaks.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com