Radiator Slats

Discussion of TABC-related matters
ferricsteed

Radiator Slats

Post by ferricsteed » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:19 am

Good day to all,
I am rebuilding the radiator slats. I am missing the two short slats to the outside, and apparently the pair of center slats. My attempts to create new ones are hitting a wall and need your help. I am able to curve the forward lip to match the existing slats but am unable to produce the airfoil curvature. Any advice on how to achieve this shape would be much appreciated.

Tim Bloomfield
TB0613
Louisiana

Eric Worpe

Re: Radiator Slats

Post by Eric Worpe » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Tim, As no one has come up with a suggestion, you could try maching a groove in some hard wood with a round nosed router bit, place the slat in the groove, place a round metal rod on the slat and press down on the rod to force the slat into the groove and take up the groove's curvature.
Just a thought, Eric.

Marv

Post by Marv » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:45 am

Hi Tim:

I have absolutely no idea if TD slats are anywhere close in profile geometry to the TB. But I've got a set around here somewhere that had damaged slats and of little use to a TD restoration. Would be happy to work something out with you if they'll help.

Marv TC5141
Illinois

Kameron M

Post by Kameron M » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:06 am

Go to a hobby store, preferably a small one. They often have racks of metal tubing that people use to build model aircraft and such. I have seen aluminum tubing before that is extruded in the shape of an airfoil, and I am sure there will be a material available somewhere of that nature that will fit your needs quite satisfactorily.

ferricsteed

Post by ferricsteed » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. I used the hardwood router as a former and tapped a round bar to the inner side to achieve the air foil curvature. Worked great. I'll note that I tried using 22 gauge steel panel, but switched to aluminum. The steel was just too difficult to form. It is painted and mounted back on the car. I liked the idea of a model hobby store, nearest one is Houston though. West bound I-10 was closed.

High Regards,
Tim Bloomfield
TB0613
Louisiana