Can't remove rear wheel bearing slotted nut

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Kameron M

Can't remove rear wheel bearing slotted nut

Post by Kameron M » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:02 pm

I think this is pretty self explanitory. It is the slotted nut. Right now I am working on the left "near side" and to my understanding that means to loosen you turn the nut to the left, as in right hand threading.

Much hammering has been done and it won't move. Tips?

Kameron M

Re: Can't remove rear wheel bearing slotted nut

Post by Kameron M » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:39 pm

Well That answers it. It turns the other way

Gene Gillam

Post by Gene Gillam » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:39 am

Yep, just some nuts and the knock-ons are handed. Glad you figured it out.

Kameron M

Post by Kameron M » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:19 pm

What is odd is - unless I am entirely backwards, which I can be at times, it seems that my left side knock outs are Right hand threaded - right on, left off. And my Right side knock outs are left hand threaded - left on, right off. Like I said, I might be entirely wrong on this but I could have sworn that they are.

I don't think I have the wrong hubs on the car, as the left knock outs say "NEAR SIDE" printed on them.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:34 pm

Hub bearing nuts and knockoffs are subject to forces in opposite directions! With knockoffs you tighten opposite wheel travel so that they will have a tendency to self-tighten (although I'm not convinced that's always reality) so tightening is toward the rear of the car. Nuts are influenced in the same direction as wheel travel, so tightening is toward the front of the car.

When you reassemble everything make sure the hubs are on the CORRECT SIDE of the car or else the knockoffs will loosen themselves and your wheels will come off while driving.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:43 am

I discovered that my front stub axles were back to front although hubs were correct on the front, thank God for split pins .
As for near and off side I guess that you are in the US and off course these cars were made in UK where left/near side is the Kerb or Gutter as in Australia. You guys drive on wrong side of the road
I have some brand new spinners that were incorrectly sent and are marked left/right instead of near /offside
Maybe so as not to confuse US customers .As I paid extra wanted to return but sender sent correct ones instead due to postage costs.
I,m not sure how export cars are marked but have no real use so if any one is interested may be of use but maybe could purchase new in the US for same as postage costs from OZ