A quick thought on retrofitting.

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Kameron M

A quick thought on retrofitting.

Post by Kameron M » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:34 pm

This might not work at all, I'm mentioning that right off the bat- nor have I tried it.

I noticed that the carbon brushes on the dynamo looked about the same size as the sintered carbon-copper brushes on the starter motor. The copper brushes do favor current draw, at the expense of extremely fast commutator wear.

What I was wondering- on that note, is whether or not carbon only brushes from the Dynamo could be retrofitted onto the starter, such that the commutator wear on the starter (far more expensive a thing to fix than brush replacement) is reduced to effectively nil. Has anyone tried this before?

-kam-

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: A quick thought on retrofitting.

Post by Steve Simmons » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:53 pm

Never even considered it, but considering the armature / commutator in my TC's starter is 67 years old and still going, I think the idea is a solution looking for a problem.
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Marv

Post by Marv » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:48 am

With a smile on my face Steve, Well said! I haven't heard that one since I retired out of the Aerospace industry. Too many times do we look for a solution to a non-existent problem. Can't blame Kam for thinking out loud though. Keep it up Kam!

Marv
TC5141

Duncan M

Post by Duncan M » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:16 am

Along with the required current draw, I think the brushes in the starter motor on a very cold day could change extremes of temp quite rapidly.

Eric Worpe

Post by Eric Worpe » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:42 am

Hi Kam,
The initial surge starter current could be as high as 250 amps, which as previously stated would bring the carbon brushes up to "glow" temperatures. The brushes are only used sporadically, so no great wear takes place especially if your engine "fires up" quickly.
Eric.