Removing Oil Pump Shaft and Gear

Discussion of TABC-related matters
jamesmdavis

Removing Oil Pump Shaft and Gear

Post by jamesmdavis » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:21 am

I am currently awaiting a rebuilt oil pump and preparing to remove the old one which, in part, involves pulling out the oil pump shaft and gear. I am putting together a pulling device but need to know the thread specs (type, size, and pitch) of the hole in the top of the shaft and the diameter of the hole which contains the shaft. Could someone help me here? Thanks.

Jim Davis
TC 7225
Peachtree City, GA

frenchblatter

Re: Removing Oil Pump Shaft and Gear

Post by frenchblatter » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:32 am

Jim, you don't need a puller. Just undo the bolts that hold the body to the block and it will come out. May need a wiggle or a gentle lever if the gasket has been "glued" to the mating surfaces.

Ed to add that the threads are metric but the spanner sizes are Whitworth/BSF
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Marv

Post by Marv » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:46 am

Hi Jim; As Norm said you typically will not need a puller of any type to yank the oil pump. If yours feels that stuck (mating faces). Wrap an old rag around the base at the split line tightly. spray it soaking wet but not dripping with PB Blaster. Let it set for a day and it should pop out, a few soft blows with a leather or dead blow hammer around the pump body in several places will nudge it along.

Marv TC5141

jamesmdavis

Post by jamesmdavis » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:52 am

Thanks for the feedback. I hope it goes as smoothly as you say. That would be nice.

Jim

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:58 am

I've done the same, tapped all around with a mallet and it popped free. I think this is safer than using a puller. I've heard stories though, about a lack of clearance if doing the job in the car. Some say they had to undo the motor mounts and raise the engine a bit. Never tried it myself, the engine has always been out of the car!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

EdCallo

Post by EdCallo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:19 pm

If removing the pump with the motor in the car you will have to lift the engine a little to get it out.

John Frederick Cockrem

Post by John Frederick Cockrem » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:57 am

James be very careful when doing up the oil pump bolts, they snap very easily if you are heavy handed.