Long distance touring

Discussion of TABC-related matters
PeterSprot

Long distance touring

Post by PeterSprot » Wed May 04, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello,
In about five weeks time my wife and I are taking my TC from our home in Suffolk UK to France heading south crossing Switzerland and over the alps into Italy. We then intend to continue south all the way down Italy getting the ferry to Sicily which we will tour for a few days before getting another ferry to the island of Malta.
My questions are aimed at the seasoned travelers among you.
What spares should I take?
What tools should I take apart from the obvious?
Is there anything you took which you found invaluable?

Space will be at a premium as I don't have a rack and don't really want to get one unless I really have to.
The car has a newly built engine with new mains, big end, rebore, valves, oil seals etc. It will have over 1000 miles on the engine before we begin. It has a five speed gearbox. I've changed all the bulbs for bright led's, they work well and are nice and bright but I doubt if we will travel much at night as the days are longest at the time we go. The tyres are all new Dunlops. The seats are new also.
I've put a 12v modern power supply with two usb supplies under the dash out of sight which will be used to power a sat nav and keep the phones charged.

We'll be driving with the hood down most of the time and will take the side windows in their pocket. They are also all new.

I did this journey on a 1951 Vincent motorcycle six years ago but never in a car so I'm looking forward to it.
Thanks for any hints and tips you can offer.
Peter Sprot

ian theobald

Re: Long distance touring

Post by ian theobald » Wed May 04, 2016 7:12 pm

G,day Pete. Firstly I would take a container of water and first aid kit and Sun Block +30 or 50.
Maybe could purchase a new clean 5ltr fuel container for water and if needed could be used for fuel as Illegal to fill certain type plastic containers
It is suprising how quickly one can get burnt from the sun without realising ,especially if from English origins.
Water is handy should you be stuck on the side of the road in the hot sun or if car boils over from climbing steep hills behind slow moving vehicles, hopefully not stuck in a traffic jam.
The other thing I would do is have some phone numbers handy of Parts suppliers of MGTC in various countries just in case some part urgently needed that hard to get like some odd size wheel bearing broken half shaft or similar. not to far to ship in Europe
Europe is not so large that major cities close by.
As for parts ,luckily TC,s are simple and things like dirty fuel pump points or distributor points can let you down but easy fixed ,I usually have a spare rotor button and cap but if in good condition should be ok.[My new rotor button once failed so can happen.
Maybe a spare tyre tube but maybe a motor cycle one fits so would be easy to get from any auto or Motor Cycle place
Here in Oz we have to worry about things like rocks being flung up and hitting radiators or windscreen and the odd wild life but that is more so in the evenings and dawn when feeding on sides of roads [Birds ,wombats and Kangaroos ]
Apart from that most service stations or major towns would have the odd part required these days like fuel hoses ,clamps etc and if not then could spend a few days relaxing until spare part arrived.
I,m sure you have road side assistance cover for towing to nearest major centre should the worst happen.
Here in Oz my car Insurance covers me for travel back home and even transport of car as it is with Historic and Classic cover if more than 100klm from home.
Last year covered 3500miles which is not much by modern car standards but I only use now on weekends when not riding my motor bike or work vehicle.
In the past 6 years of ownership have so far not had a break down and I,m sure if the car was a dog would bite me as apart from an oil change once a year rarely open the bonnet or apply a sponge but have replaced all wheel bearings, brake components, fuel and water hoses thermostat, fuel sender and re bushed king pins so have an idea of what should not give me trouble.
Have a wonderful holiday and one day travel through Oz for real long distance touring[I doubt if a TC would make it between some fuel stops on some of the inland roads such as the Nullabour crossing from Adelaide to Perth or Stuart Hwy from Adelaide up to Alice Springs -Darwin [Pretty scary on a Motor bike to get caught in a headwind and realise using more fuel than intended as happened to me ] Remember the sun screen Ian

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Thu May 05, 2016 1:22 am

Thanks Ian,
I've show your message to 'She who will Nagivate' and she will get the sun block, first aid kit. The spare wheel has a new tyre, nevertheless I I've ordered a tube and will take my tyre levers. I'll set the sat nav to show my speed in kph and find somewhere to mount it out of the direct sun. I've already sprayed the radiator with Kangaroo repellent and so far it's working great. I haven't seen any. :)
Thanks and regards
Peter

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu May 05, 2016 8:17 am

My wife and I do quite a bit of distance touring in our TC. You can read a few of our trip logs on this page of our web site. I agree, the TC looks better without a rear rack although admittedly you can triple your luggage load if you run one. We do not, but if we did then it would be the "park bench" style, not the kind that puts the luggage up high where it blocks your rear view.

We have found the best way to pack is by using large duffle bags, because they conform to odd spaces better. We use two bags behind the seat, the bottom one just for clothes and the top one for the next couple of days clothes plus everything else. That way we only have to wrestle one bag out of the car each night, and every few days take both out to move fresh clothes into the top bag.

My wife has short enough legs that she can keep a small bag with extra supplies at the end of her foot well. She also keeps a few things under her knees, up against the seat bottom. On my side (driver's side) this is where I keep a jacket (rolled up tightly) and driving gloves. I like these two things handy so I don't have to stop and dig through the car when it gets cold or wet. We also keep sunscreen and lip balm in the door pockets.

For spare parts and tools, off the top of my head, we usually bring the following (I'll add to the list if I think of more):

In battery box (I use a small Westco battery):
Spare oil (minimum 2 quarts)
Small bottle of unopened brake fluid
Complete distributor, adjusted and ready to drop in, including cap and wires (tested a few hundred miles)
Fuel pump
Length of spare fuel hose with hose clamps and banjo to barbed fitting
Gasket paper and sealer
Spare coil

In tool box:
The usual tools - SAE / Whitworth combo spanners, screwdrivers, socket set (whit), adjustable pliers, small needle pliers, wire cutter/stripper, side cutters, tire levers, knockoff hammer (faux lead), small multimeter, small file, feeler gauge set, tire pressure gauge, spoke wrench
Spare headlamp and turn bulb
Carb rebuild kit (gaskets and such)
Carb float
Spark plugs (the last known good set to come out, not new ones)
Exhaust gasket (I use an MGA donut)
Various nuts and bolts
Laytex gloves
Hand towels
Tube of waterless hand cleaner
Spare spokes (2 each length) with nipples
Rim tape (enough for one rim)
Length of electrical wire

In rear compartment under bags and behind seat:
Spare inner tube (two on a long trip)
Quick detail spray and microfiber rags
Compact car cover or cockpit cover
Jack
Workshop manual

In side curtain compartment:
Rear screens only (we find the fronts useless)
Spare speedo and tach cables
Head gasket
Very thin, compact plastic painter's tarp (handy for waterproofing again huge overnight storms, or to lay on ground if getting under the car in the mud)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Thu May 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Thanks Steve,
I've never used the side screens and only had the top up once and was glad to have had a hat on on a bumpy road!
Why do you consider front side screens not good?
I did notice the wipers are painfully slow.
Thanks again
Peter

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Thu May 05, 2016 1:08 pm

I thought of something else. I'll be traveling into temperatures of up to 35c or 95f should I worry about overheating. I've ordered an MGB seven blade fan. Should that be enough?

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu May 05, 2016 2:57 pm

In my experience, putting on the front screens makes the interior unbearably hot, even on very cold nights. Also in damp weather, they cause the windscreen to fog over terribly. Driving without them is more pleasant to us, even when raining. A minimal amount of rain gets in around the rear of the doors but not too bad.

The wipers are fairly useless on my car. But the windscreen is nearly vertical so the faster you drive, the greater the high pressure area in front of the glass, and this "pillow" of pressure directs water away so you don't really need the wipers anyway. I think I've used them only twice in over a decade.

Some people have problems with overheating but in good order a TC engine should be able to handle any climate. Ours traveled through a place called "The Valley of Fire" in the lower Nevada desert during a July heat wave. It was 116F and the car never ran hot, even on long grades. There are photos in the link I provided above, under the "GoF West 2007" story.

Here is one photo from that segment, with two weeks worth of luggage behind the seat!
Attachments
IMG_5517.jpg
IMG_5517.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 6455 times
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Fri May 06, 2016 12:04 am

I think front side screens are useless and whats worse is they make it nearly impossible to get in or out.I only use for when car parked out in the rain as when driving not required.
As for hot weather my car runs average 75 deg when out side averages 25-30 C and goes up by slightly above that so expect to runs close to 80-on the open road if 35-40 [100f] but at that temperature outside only mad dogs and English men venture .
If for some reason had to venture in that type of heat would put hood up to prevent getting sun burnt ,trust me ,it,s no fun in that type of heat but then again I live on the coast so usually cop a North westerly when those temperatures happen or 100 % humidity if in the mid 30,s. Then Leather seats are a must
If your lucky enough to have a spare dizzy then I suppose chuck one In as plenty of space under bonnet tool box But when ever I decide to go on a longer run I just make sure fuel pump and distributor have new points or clean ones .
Would be a good idea to check fuel filter at bottom of SU pump as have had one get clogged but rarely had one give up entirely.
My TC is my Motor bike on 4 wheels [Has mudguards and wire wheels so half qualifies ] so gets treated like when when I go away on my bikes
Roll of tape and wire cutters and tools in small pouch.
Credit card in the pocket and a pair of jeans [not entirely ]
As for oils etc there is always a servo somewhere but agree that if you have some from home chuck some in.
Importantly !!!!! take upper cylinder lubricant as unleaded can be unkind to valves on prolonged runs and they can stick. Has not happened on My TC But a 21/2 ltr Riley I owned for 30 yrs was plagued with that problem
I purchase in 1 litre bottles as too expensive for those individual little 100 ml bottles at the fuel stations.
At the end of the day chuck what you think will give you trouble but Murphys law is it will be something else that will fail. You know your self what is new and less likely to give you trouble hopefully
The good thing about a TC is it,s simplicity
Make sure fuel hoses are in good condition [internally ]
My hoses looked ok and moved them to remove air filter to paint. Turned key on and fuel sprayed everywhere as hose inside had snapped like a carrot even though outer braid looked new so check them.
Once replaced would not expect a problem but I made a temporary one while waiting for new ones so have chucked in Tool box but not really sure if would ever need it.
Have you got spare keys ?? I am the worst offender when riding on my motor bikes and have lost count how many times have lost one and had to hot wire to get home.
Have a great adventure
Attachments
image_07.png
image_07.png (320.95 KiB) Viewed 6447 times

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri May 06, 2016 11:47 am

I didn't used to carry a spare dizzy, but I do now because I was once driving my Y-Type (same engine and dizzy as TC) and the drive cog on the dizzy sheared off and fell into the oil pan. If I had a spare, I could have continued on my way instead of calling the truck of shame. I've also seen other issues cause problems such as weights going astray or bodies coming loose. It's rare, but it can happen and I figure if I'm carrying points, plate, condenser, and cap, then may as well carry the whole thing. It isn't that much bigger than the individual parts.

If your cylinder head has been rebuilt in the past 30 years then there should be no reason to use lead additives or other upper end lubes. Sticky valves today are usually caused by valve guides that are too tight. I have a whole box of lead additive that someone gave me, free to whoever wants it for the cost of shipping!

My belief is that fuel hoses should be replaced every ten years. Steel braided hoses are perfect for hiding the condition of the rubber! But it's original so I use it, and that is the reason why I carry a bit of spare rubber hose.
ian theobald wrote:35-40 [100f] but at that temperature outside only mad dogs and English men venture .
Well I'm not an Englishman so I guess I'm a mad dog! :)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Fri May 06, 2016 12:53 pm

I am an Englishman. so I will take a spare dizzy. I've go one that came with the car. It's an electronic device I think it's called a 123 I didn't put it on because the standard one had been restored and works perfectly so if it ain't broke.... I'll read up how to fit it just in case.
The head was rebuilt with unleaded petrol in mind. Down below it has new mains and big ends and the Mk2 moss crankshaft seal and two seals on the pulley end of the crank however I will take additive. The whole car has been prepared as best I can but I'm no expert so my fingers remain crossed and I'll be taking the manual along with an increasing box of bits. I am so thankful to you guys for the information you have passed on to me.

Julian Evers

Post by Julian Evers » Mon May 09, 2016 12:13 am

My advice is to ensure the car is reliable before you set off, ie iron out any bugs. To carry a garage worth of spares will be both expensive, heavy and take up space you and particularly your navigator cannot afford. Therefore I suggest you get the appropriate recovery deal, identify which garages along your route are familiar with TC's or old MG's or old cars or take pot luck.
Then contact the UK spares supplier of your choice and let them know what you are doing and if they hold the list of spares above and all the 1001 things you may need, you will always need that bit you have not got. Modern parcels companies will be able to get the bits for a full repair to you next day, 0900 if you want. This is the solution recommended to me years ago by Ron Gammons when I went to the South of France and afterwards went between Dortmund and Honiton over a number of weekends when I was posted to the former and my girlfriend lived in the latter.
Best regards

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Mon May 09, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks Julian,
The car will have over 1000 miles on the rebuilt engine before we set off. I do have Europe wide breakdown cover and I will be sure to take Brown and Gammons number.
http://www.petersmachines.com/2016/mg-tc-1946/

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Mon May 09, 2016 10:45 pm

All you need is luck! For years I have been taking along enough spares to almost rebuilt half a TC and now just take a spare tube und an umbrella with me. In Europa the breakdown services are good, and I have a homebringing insurance so in the worst case the car comes home on a trailer. Never happened before and a good maintained car should do the trick. But....you never know, but you than may find out, that you just have packed the wrong spare part!!!
Attachments
IMG_1949.jpg

dirk w dondorp

Post by dirk w dondorp » Mon May 09, 2016 11:48 pm

most important part; the umbrella!
at over 6' 4" can hardly drive with the hood down:-(
Attachments
IMG_1948.jpg

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Tue May 10, 2016 2:20 am

I love that picture Dirk!
A question. When it rains does water come up through the hole in the floor where the pedals are?
I think I'll find a way to block it a bit just in case.
IMG_20160430_141124.jpg

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Tue May 10, 2016 8:14 am

There is a rubber boot around the pedals to keep water out. But even when mine was missing, I never noticed water coming through.

In good order these are very reliable cars considering the era and type of vehicle. If you drive yours regularly and it doesn't give any problems then I wouldn't worry too much. A long distance trip is just several afternoon drives. ;)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Tue May 10, 2016 8:58 am

There is a European parts supplier, Anglo Parts: https://www.angloparts.com/

They may be able to get parts to you quicker than from the UK (assuming your on Mainland Europe)
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

PeterSprot

Post by PeterSprot » Tue May 10, 2016 11:05 am

I've ordered the rubber boot for the peddles. It's great to see so much still available for these cars.
Today I mounted the sat nav on the tunnel propped up just below the gear lever.