TC ammeter wiring

Discussion of TABC-related matters
tcremesal

TC ammeter wiring

Post by tcremesal » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:23 pm

My ammeter had no wiring when I purchased it . Do any of you chaps have any wiring diagrams for ammeter to system ?
Thanks, TC
IMG_0631.JPG

ian theobald

Re: TC ammeter wiring

Post by ian theobald » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:35 pm

From memory I think should be Brown in one side from regulator and Brown white the other which would feed ignition ,might be wrong as still at work but which ever way you connect if wrong will read backwards ,thats all.will check tonight

tcremesal

Post by tcremesal » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:14 am

I've no wires to start with . Is regulator terminal marked ? And do I shunt into ignition feed ?
Thanks Ian for your help.

Marv

Post by Marv » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:14 am

My schematic shows the right hand terminal (B), (as you view it from the backside), to go directly to the starter terminal with a black with yellow tracer wire. The starter terminal is the one that has the negative battery lead on it. This should be a heavy wire as all the current feeding the input of the regulator flows through this circuit. The left hand terminal (A) of the ammeter then goes directly to terminal "A" on the voltage regulator. This wire is shown as being White with a purple tracer on my schematic and should be equally as heavy as the incoming Black/Yellow wire from the starter. I believe 12 gage but that's memory talking and not documented fact.

Marv

ian theobald

Post by ian theobald » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:15 pm

G,day.From Starter is Brown to terminal B .Brown also leaves in smaller guage wire toMap reading lamp/switchand inspection light sockets.[obviously continuos live and unfused.
From Ammeter Terminal A Brown White feeds to Terminal A on Voltage regulator feeding A1 which is a live fused circuit feeding power to ignition ,A2 would also be live fused feeding horn etc.
Reason is to leave more spare terminals,Later regulators like mine have less but same principle applies .Basically from ignition would be a return some where through wiring to the regulator for terminals A3 &4 [usually white ] which feeds anything that only works with ignition on ,fuel pump and coil with other side fused as green to whatever.
Basically very simple .I can scan a copy as is common to most British cars .
All the other fancy colours on more expensive cars are just for other switches .
Dynamo is usually Yellow to the D terminal and Yellow green is Field which is the smaller terminal to F on the Regulator'
Very simple.Just follow wire from battery on a circuit like a road map.
Helps that I am a Phone technician for over 40 yrs but even I get confused as circuits can be printed small.
Perhaps I could post a simple circuit of each circuit with other ones shaded for each function If I get the time
Things are much easier now that you can purchase new complete harness.complete with original style sheathing where as mine is plastic PVC with plastic cover installed in the 70,s but still same colour code going to a retangula Later style Lucas Regulator
My Dash was a mixture off all sorts added over the years which was not really necesary so just gutted and started again but was still able to retain most of the original with any new wire kept to the same colour .
Good luck

Charley

Post by Charley » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:17 pm

Only thing I can add about an ammeter is mine is a 0 to 20 scale. For my car that's a little to sensitive and often when I would turn on the headlights, it would spike about 30 amps and peg the meter. I made a shunt from a piece of 12 gauge solid copper (romex) and that took care of it.