MG TC Stage 2 Wood Frame Build

Discussion of TABC-related matters
SteveW

MG TC Stage 2 Wood Frame Build

Post by SteveW » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:26 am

Unfortunately, I've not started this thread to show off the successful completion of my stage 2 wood frame build, but to start to ask questions. I will post progress here as I go, but this will be fairly slow over the next few months due to other commitments.

I have a full kit of wood parts, but these need some 'fettling' to get just right. I have a copy of TC Forever, so I can take some measurements from there, but these are not enough to get me an accurate enough fit with confidence. So, my first question:

Taking the top of the top rail on the rear panel as a reference point, what is the correct horizontal distance to the plane formed by the vertical face of the rear door posts? i.e. How far forward are the rear door posts from the top rail? Happy to accept a measurement from any other fixed reference point that's easier to use!

Herman 5560

Re: MG TC Stage 2 Wood Frame Build

Post by Herman 5560 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:13 am

would not describe my car as the best example of a period correct car but here goes.

I measured from the inside of the rear panel parallel to the frame steel up to a piece of angle iron I placed on the face of the two door pillars.

750mm on the dot.
Attachments
750.jpg
750.jpg (91.6 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
Along steel frame.jpg
Along steel frame.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 7209 times
Angle iron at door.jpg
Angle iron at door.jpg (94.73 KiB) Viewed 7209 times

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:05 am

Thanks for that Herman. I've test fitted mine by holding everything in place with clamps and I get 748mm in the same place that you measured yours. Given that mine doesn't have the metal on yet, which will add a mm or two, I think that that is remarkably good agreement between two cars built by hand. :)

Herman 5560

Post by Herman 5560 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:10 am

That is great news, makes me feel a whole lor better about my car

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:20 am

A long shot I know, given the international nature of this forum, but is there anyone within a reasonable driving distance of Nottingham, UK, that I can come around and see to take some measurements off their car.

I'm trying to make sure that I get the stage 2 wood frame build exactly right and I want to take measurements in more positions that are given in TC Forever. As I want to take quite a lot of measurements, it doesn't seem fair to ask someone on here to take all of the measurements themselves and post the results.

ian fletcher

Post by ian fletcher » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:26 pm

Hi Steve, I live near Birmingham Airport and have almost completed a 6 year rebuild! Unfortunately I am away until 20th November but the body tub is currently at the body shop for painting. If it would help I could ask if you could take measurements of the tub at the body shop, or wait until I'm home in about three weeks?

Cheers
Ian

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:37 am

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the offer. I'm happy to wait until you're back home as I have quite a busy couple of weeks ahead of me anyway so probably will not have any garage time. I'm actually passing through Birmingham Airport four times this week myself!

I'll drop you a pm or an e-mail when I'm back home and we can sort out a day and time that works for you.

Steve

Richard Withington

Post by Richard Withington » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:27 am

Hi Steve,
just reading your message, I have a TC which was recently restored by Naylors and live near Grantham, which is quite close to you in Nottingham. If you can get the information from a completed car then I would be pleased to here from you.
Richard

cbbehr

Post by cbbehr » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:27 pm

Hi everyone
Just completing a rebuild of MGTB body tub
Set the hinge pillar to allow a correct fit of the door.
TC forever gives this dimension at top of hinge pillar to top of latch pillar
This assumes you have fit the new main rail and latch pillar in place
Fit door wood in opening with hinges and 1/4" all around for clearance.
Get these in the right position and everything else is a snap to fit

Hope this helps
Cliff

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:57 am

Richard Withington wrote:Hi Steve,
just reading your message, I have a TC which was recently restored by Naylors and live near Grantham, which is quite close to you in Nottingham. If you can get the information from a completed car then I would be pleased to here from you.
Richard
Hi Richard,

Thanks for the offer. I would love to come and see your completed car at some point, but for my immediate purposes, I think that Ian's part built car will allow me easier access to the areas that I need to measure. If the offer still stands by then, maybe I could come across in my kit car for a look when the weather improves next year.

Richard Withington

Post by Richard Withington » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:39 am

Hi Steve,
Just give me a call when you are ready on (01) 949 844066.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:43 am

ian fletcher wrote:Hi Steve, I live near Birmingham Airport and have almost completed a 6 year rebuild! Unfortunately I am away until 20th November but the body tub is currently at the body shop for painting. If it would help I could ask if you could take measurements of the tub at the body shop, or wait until I'm home in about three weeks?

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian,

I sent you a PM on here the other day to try to arrange a time to meet up, but to be honest, I'm not sure if it got through. If your still happy for me to come down and take a few measurements, could you let me know please and we can sort out a day and time.

Thanks again for the offer
Steve

ian fletcher

Post by ian fletcher » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 am

Hi Steve, I've just PM 'ed you
Cheers
Ian

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:03 am

Many thanks to Ian for allowing me to take some measurements off his newly restored body tub yesterday. The measurements should help a lot when I restart building my tub in the new year.

Ian - that's a great paint job that you've had done. Think twice before you do anything in the garage from now on as it would be a shame to damage it. Don't forget to post a picture of the finished car on here when its ready to roll.

Steve

Marv

Post by Marv » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:01 am

Steve. When you have assimilated all that data, is there any chance you can share it on-line or in a PM. Thanks,,

Marv

ian fletcher

Post by ian fletcher » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:47 am

No problem Steve. Yes it's very scary working in the garage in the moment given the excellent paint job on the tub. Christmas is rather getting in the way of further work at the moment but I'm off to the upholsterer tomorrow to get the inner wheel arch padding so may at least start the interior trim this week. I have a minor problem with one door just catching, which it didn't do before the tub was painted. I had hoped once the bulkhead was bolted on and the tub fastened to the chassis the problem would go away. I'm hoping a gentle tweak on the actual hinge will solve the problem without having to do any work on the door or tub. Fingers crossed.

A merry Christmas and happy New Year

Cheers Ian