MGTC transmission removal

Discussion of TABC-related matters
tedjan

MGTC transmission removal

Post by tedjan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm

I am in the process of removing my transmission to replace the clutch but I am not certain if the trans can be removed from the bottom or through the inside of the car.It seems that to remove through the inside,the firewall will have to come out.But is it possible to loosen the firewall and move the trans rearward and then drop from the bottom?
I do have a workshop manual,but it is not clear as to the best method,if there is one.
Thank you very much for your assist on this one.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Re: MGTC transmission removal

Post by Steve Simmons » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:10 pm

Not sure if this helps, but I've always removed them with the engine. I'm not sure if there is enough wiggle room to get it through the cockpit or from underneath with the engine in place. Maybe someone else has attempted this?
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

Richard Michell

Post by Richard Michell » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:37 pm

I have removed mine several times via the cockpit with the engine in place. I do not believe it can be taken out through the bottom

Cannot advise you on the firewall as mine is not in place.

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:49 am

You can take the gearbox out from inside by removing the gearbox rubber cover and the floor.

Or you can take the engine out, which I find easier. Rad off, downpipe off, bell housing bolts, front engine mounting bolts, choke and throttle (and fast idle if fitted), fuel pipes and wires, crane and out. I can get my engine out in about an hour.

I have an aversion to removing floors. When I started work as an apprentice one of nthe firts jobs I had to do was to remove the floor of a Land Rover (the breakdown truck) to remove the gearbox to fit a new clutch. When I put it back I did all the floor screws up, seemed like a hundred but the last few weren't aligned so I had to undo all the screws I'd put in to move the floor to align the screws. It's put me off removing floors ever since.
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

Tom Lange, MGT Repair

Post by Tom Lange, MGT Repair » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:15 am

As addenda to Norman's post, when removing the engine and trans together (much easier) you must also remove the drive shaft bolts, the transmission mounts, the ground strap, the clutch chain, the speedometer cable, coil wire and the transmission shift mechanism (cover the transmission opening with cardboard to keep out dirt and foreign objects). I do remove the floorboards, if for no other reason than you can do a world of chassis cleaning with them removed, and they are often so chipped and damaged that it is a good time to make new ones, and to replace the floorboard screws and washers.

Finally, do NOT remove the bell-housing bolts until the engine is out.

Tom Lange
MGT Repair

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:24 pm

I have had the engine out several times without removing the trans. I find it much easier than dealing with the interior items that need to come out. All you need do is remove the bonnet, radiator and shell, the headlamps can stay put, remove the bell housing bolts, starter, (likely you will have to unbolt the steering column and box) drop exhaust head pipe, disconnect fuel lines, electrical leads, front motor mts. and lift it away. Replace clutch. To install, line up the transmission input shaft with the clutch splines and it will slip right in with a bit of wiggling.

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:32 pm

I do the same. Much easier to pull the engine without the gearbox just because it's a pain to get to the mounts and drive shaft. Just remember to support the gearbox when the engine lets go. Do not let it hang by the mounts or you might break the ears off!
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

tedjan

Post by tedjan » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:43 am

well,I removed the gearbox through the passenger compartment,lots of work.I was following recommended r and r as per the TC service manual.
New clutch is in and all is well.
Thanks very much for the assist.