MG TA Water Pump Help

Discussion of TABC-related matters
LewPalmer

MG TA Water Pump Help

Post by LewPalmer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:50 pm

I am restoring an MPJG engine for a fellow club member and have encountered a problem with the water pump. Someone made quite a mess of the pump including a missing bearing, a grease shield made from a bear can, and a missing pin from the impellor.
However, the question is how to remove the impeller from the main shaft. When the shaft is pressed as far back as it will go (until the wide portion of the shaft hits the seal housing) the impeller is not far enough out of the housing to get a puller behind it. The impeller is well and truly stuck on the shaft.
So what tricks can anyone suggest to get the impeller off the shaft?

Thanks,
Lew Palmer

EdCallo

Re: MG TA Water Pump Help

Post by EdCallo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 am

What I have done in the past when I could not get a puller on is to use the split bearing puller like used on a press. Then use the puller on it. I will try and find a link to one if you are not sure what I mean

LewPalmer

Post by LewPalmer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 am

Thanks, Ed. Yes, I have several split pullers, but I am not sure I even have enough room to get the knife edge of the puller between the impeller and the housing. It may be that the only solution is to cut the impeller and maybe even sacrifice the shaft. At least those parts are available.

LewPalmer

Post by LewPalmer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:37 am

Problem is now solved. I split the impeller which allowed me to withdraw the shaft without further damage,