MPJG Main Bearings

Discussion of TABC-related matters
LewPalmer

MPJG Main Bearings

Post by LewPalmer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:11 pm

Does any one have a source for main bearings for the MG TA? I always thought all bearings on the TA, con rod and main, were babbit, but this engine clearly has shell bearings for the crankshaft. They are even marked with MOWOG part numbers. None of my usual sources list them.

Marv

Re: MPJG Main Bearings

Post by Marv » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:49 pm

Hi Lew, There are a number of MOWOG databases out there floating around, why don't you post your MOWOG numbers and maybe you can get a hit. I've got one buried somewhere but I'm not sure how far back it goes.

Marv TC5141

cdrolshagen

Post by cdrolshagen » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:47 am

Hi Lew,
original TA engine has white metal bearings - could it be a TC XPAG engine in a TA Chassis,
or a new Phoenix/Moss billet crank and rods?
Give me/ us the bearing number which is stamped in,
Carl

LewPalmer

Post by LewPalmer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:07 am

The engine is clearly an MPJG engine and the mains are clearly shell bearings, although the rods are most definitely cast babbit.
There are no numbers on the center main bearing, but the 1st and 3rd bearings are marked:
22284 MOWOG G25FH and
22284 MOWOG G26FH

one being the top bearing half and the other the bottom half.

LewPalmer

Post by LewPalmer » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:16 am

Oh, and the MG TA Parts list includes the bearings and lists them at MG Part Numbers MG706/85 for the 1st and 3rd bearings and MG706/86 for the middle bearing. So clearly they were separate parts and not cast babbit in the block.

phil cassie

Post by phil cassie » Mon May 01, 2017 2:15 am

G'Day Lew You are correct that the MPJG main bearings are are "shell bearings" however the shells are 5.5 mm thick unlike conventional shells that are closer to 2.5 mm. The spare parts list only standard size and do not offer alternative sizes for crankshaft regrinds.MPJG parts are extremely hard to find ,especially new. Most new parts are manufactured on a small scale by owners who make a one off batch and sell the surplus to help cover manufacturing costs. When I rebuilt my engine I had the white metal poured into the shells and line bored in the block.
Phil

LewPalmer

Post by LewPalmer » Tue May 02, 2017 10:42 am

Phil,
After several days of head scratching, I came to the same conclusion. The existing main bearing shells are quite thick and an expert friend said that they can easily be remetaled. So when we have the rods done, we'll bring the bearing shells along to get them done at the same time.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Triple-M and TD guy, I am learning something every day about TAs, so I thank you all for the advice.
Cheers,
Lew