Fittings for TA centralized chassis lubrication system

Discussion of TABC-related matters
craig.cootsona

Fittings for TA centralized chassis lubrication system

Post by craig.cootsona » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:18 am

Hello all,

I'm restoring the centralized lubrication system (also called the grouped nipple chassis lubrication) for TA 2962 chassis and thankfully have nearly all the pieces but a few. I'm looking for 2 ea of the double ended male fittings that thread into the endcap of the trunnion, and two of the corresponding nuts that attach the oil lines to these fittings. See pictures 1 and 2 respectively for examples.

If you have a spare set of these (used or new) or a source, I would appreciate the assistance.

Thank you,
Craig Cootsona
TA 2962
fitting 1.jpg
fitting 1.jpg (18.99 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
Attachments
fitting 2.jpg
fitting 2.jpg (17.39 KiB) Viewed 4408 times

John Cockrem

Re: Fittings for TA centralized chassis lubrication system

Post by John Cockrem » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Good morning Craig, from Vic Aust...I am tipping that the male fitting is a standard domestic plumbing fitting which is called a nipple in Australia .At a guess its 1/4 or 3/8 inch BSP (British Standard Pipe) thread, very available in Oz.
I am pretty sure that US pipe thread is different than ours. I would be happy to send you a couple if you like.
Not sure re the nuts though, Steve Baker in the UK?
John Cockrem TC 2268

craig.cootsona

Post by craig.cootsona » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you for the information John. It looks like the male ends are 5/16" BSF (22 TPI) accepting a flared pipe end on the outer side (probably an olive originally) and a straight thread into the trunnion end cap with a crush washer to seal. I'll check with Steve to see if he has any lying around. If not, maybe I can tap the threads to accept a more common fitting.

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:28 pm

I wonder if they are the same as a 12/4 Riley, i had heaps of the lube fittings left over from a restoration of a Falcon, but I remember giving them to a Riley mate who is restoring a `36 Kestrel. He may have some surplus so I will have a chat whit him and see if they match your description.My friend Phil Cassie who has a TA may have a clue but he is in Europe on holiday, certainly will see what he recons when he gets back.

craig.cootsona

Post by craig.cootsona » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 am

Thanks again John, please keep me updated on this thread and I'll do the same as I learn more.

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Craig the Riley nipples are 3/8 BSP & the pipe is 5/32, attached via an olive.I may be able to scrounge up a couple of these via the Riley boys. 3/8 is usually the next size up from 5/16 so theres not a lot of difference.

John Cockrem

Post by John Cockrem » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi again Craig, Just rec a pic of the Riley setup and quite different to the TA...rotten luck, and knowing Brit cars probably differed from model to model.Check the mesurement of those nipples again though, and if its 3/8 can send you a couple over for a try...cheap enough!

craig.cootsona

Post by craig.cootsona » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm

I found the fittings at SVW spares. They also had 90 degree fittings for the rear trunnions. They were very helpful in sourcing the bits I needed!

Craig

Ken Hughes

Post by Ken Hughes » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:51 am

Hi Craig,
I was looking through the posts on this subject and cam across yours.
You say you have found a supplier for the 90deg rear trunnion oiler.
I am in UK and would like to contact them for details of the parts
could you let me have an email please.

Regards

ken