SSG (Silver Streak Gray)

Discussion of TABC-related matters
TD4834

SSG (Silver Streak Gray)

Post by TD4834 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Help I'm in as undesirable position. I am almost ready for paint on dad's TD/c-8151 as I'm completing the reskinning of the tub. I took all the various paint codes and the formula from Chris Couper's website to my local supply house. All codes are obsolete as is the formula. Does any one have a sample of SSG either sprayed out on a test strip, a stir stick, paint chip or fresh which could put in a jar etc. that they can spare as a sample. Or have a modern formula or paint code. I would like to get it as close as possible for the restoration

Thanks in advance

Bill Chasser
TD-4834
TD/c-8151

TBrad

Re: SSG (Silver Streak Gray)

Post by TBrad » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:42 am

I see you found your answer (hopefully) on Facebook.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:35 pm

This is a real problem for those wishing to use an OEM metallic color on an old British car. Luckily those of us with TC's really don't have to worry about this. The problem is that the metallics formulated now have fairly good size metal flake in them which looks nothing at all like what these old cars were painted with. Some of my Healey buddies have been trying to find a good formulation for Healey blue for years without much luck. I had the opportunity to view a 1960 Healey of that color with original paint some years ago and the light blue "metallic" originally used is nothing like we see today or have seen for years. The silvery quality to it was likely provided by something other than fine bits of chopped up foil. It had more of a pearl quality, perhaps ground up sea shells or something similar? It was also lacquer and not base coat/clear coat with that nail polish shine that looks so out of place on these old cars. Every old British car from this period that I have seen that was repainted in a metallic does not at all look like it did originally . It is highly unlikely the products that went into these paints to provide that look exist given the demand for modern day metallics. If I were going through this, I would look for a metallic that has extremely fine flake in it, and that might be the best you can do. I must say I feel your pain.
Last edited by stephen stierman on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

TD4834

Post by TD4834 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:55 pm

Steven. Thank you for your response. I concur and have resolved my delemna. My mixologist was able to formulate for me a match in tint. As you say the metallic component is a wee bit courser than originally provided. It was toned down to a acceptable level by using a gold pearl. The result is as near perfect as can be expected given the current component offerings and I am satisfied with the result. Thank you for your insightful comments

Bill Chasser
TD/c-8151

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:56 am

Good that someone took the time to address this rather out of the ordinary request!

searunner

Post by searunner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:59 am

67dupontpaintcode.jpg
stephen stierman wrote:Good that someone took the time to address this rather out of the ordinary request!
The only modern offer that I have find was the PPG ROVER colors I have used it for my Austin Healey Colorado Red
-RD2 and Old English White-WD3
https://goo.gl/photos/z4PLvpxX3JtUfpLS8
and this Dupont MG cars Color sample