TC Firewall/Bulkhead Colour

Discussion of TABC-related matters
Shanghai

TC Firewall/Bulkhead Colour

Post by Shanghai » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:01 pm

Im sure this topic has been discussed before but please humor new comer.
From my research I believe (please confirm) that my TC4885 should have either a Light Grey or Green Grey firewall.
Can anyone confirm which is correct?
Also any ideas on paint codes or references?
Thanks in advance.
Tony Jones
TC 4885
Australia (Sydney) and Singapore

stephen stierman

Re: TC Firewall/Bulkhead Colour

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:28 am

Yes, given your sn. your firewall would be light gray, read the post about three before this one and this is discussed. Mine was what you might call a light dove gray and I used a Rustoleum rattle can to paint the thing. I found the original color not to have a high gloss, but age and heat probably plays a part in this. Your engine would likely be a similar color, perhaps with a greenish tint, but again age and heat play a part, I mixed up my own. Photo under exposed and darker than reality. I am not saying this is exactly the color, just wanted to make sure the firewall was not body color and the engine was not red!
Attachments
IMG_1813.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG (94.02 KiB) Viewed 4862 times

Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:27 am

Some info in this file.
Attachments
TC paint colours.xls
(62.5 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
946 TC0999 / XPAG 1638
restore note

Steve Simmons
Site Admin

Post by Steve Simmons » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:12 am

I was going to say there are a couple books you need, but Tim has already given the required info from them! Original T-Series and TCs Forever are both required reading for the TC enthusiast. ;)
1949 TC8975 / XPAG 9609
1948 TC6011 / XPEG1182 (XPAG6472)
http://www.mgnuts.com

TBrad

Post by TBrad » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:07 pm

Sherrell states on page 61 that the bulkhead or scuttle (firewall) pressing changed between #4884 & #5562. It would be interesting to know if yours has the deep flutes or the shallow ones. Apparently, the deeper flutes indicate a body from Carbodies of Coventry and the shallow flutes indicate a body from Morris Bodies. He does insist all deep fluted scuttles were painted grey. Also, according to Sherrell, the bolts and washers fastening the scuttle should be black. He further says the engine colour (color) should be a mid to dark grey, not the light grey of the scuttle (page 69).
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:23 pm

Brad, I can tell you that TC2911 has the deeper cruder looking flutes and the bolts holding the firewall to the scuttle were and are black. The firewall as I mentioned had not been removed from the tub and all the bolts washers, wire loom holder, etc were intact when I took it apart. As far a the engine color, I mixed that up myself and if I were doing it over again probably would have made it a little less green, but that photo is darker than reality.
Steve

TBrad

Post by TBrad » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:22 pm

stephen stierman wrote:Brad, I can tell you that TC2911 has the deeper cruder looking flutes and the bolts holding the firewall to the scuttle were and are black. The firewall as I mentioned had not been removed from the tub and all the bolts washers, wire loom holder, etc were intact when I took it apart. As far a the engine color, I mixed that up myself and if I were doing it over again probably would have made it a little less green, but that photo is darker than reality.
Steve
My scuttle/firewall is very much the same color as your engine.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there!
- Brad P.

TD/C21325
TC0777

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:43 am

Brad, I am betting that your firewall has been repainted at some point in its life as mine was. It is pretty well accepted that they were painted a light gray. When I pulled mine off the timbers, that is exactly what I found on the flanges under the rubber seals. I wish I could have discovered some old paint on the engine, but there was no question that it had been apart and repainted many times during its service life, so I took liberty and mixed something up that was not maroon that could have had a semblance of what various authors have described.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:51 am

Slightly off topic, but could someone let me know if the joins between the firewall/bulkhead and the rest of the car have any sort of rubber seals between it and the rest of the car. In particular, is there anything between I) the bulkhead/fire wall and the two triangular brackets that secure it to the chassis and ii) between the firewall/bulkhead and the wood frame.

I'm just about to do a temporary fit to allow me to build the front half of the wood frame and I need to make sure I allow for any seals that are required.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:57 am

Yes, there are rubber strips between the firewall and the cowl timbers and also between the triangular brackets and the firewall.

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks for the information. Sorry, I should have also asked in my original post what the thickness of the rubber strips are. If they are thin then I'm thinking I should allow 1/8" for both, if thicker then say 1/8" for each...

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:52 am

Yes, and I should have measured them. These appear to be a bit thicker, perhaps 3/16" would be closer.

Shanghai

Post by Shanghai » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:12 pm

TBrad wrote:Sherrell states on page 61 that the bulkhead or scuttle (firewall) pressing changed between #4884 & #5562. It would be interesting to know if yours has the deep flutes or the shallow ones. Apparently, the deeper flutes indicate a body from Carbodies of Coventry and the shallow flutes indicate a body from Morris Bodies. He does insist all deep fluted scuttles were painted grey. Also, according to Sherrell, the bolts and washers fastening the scuttle should be black. He further says the engine colour (color) should be a mid to dark grey, not the light grey of the scuttle (page 69).
Hi Brad,
I'm not sure if my flutes are the deep or shallow type. Here is the only photo I have at the moment, can you comment? It would be interesting to know as this is #4885 one after #4884 that Sherrell states is the start of the change over period.
Thanks
Tony
Attachments
IMG_3587.JPG
Tony Jones
TC 4885
Australia (Sydney) and Singapore