TC rear door pillar and over wheel arch profile

Discussion of TABC-related matters
BerTC

TC rear door pillar and over wheel arch profile

Post by BerTC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:26 am

Hi folks, I've recently received a 1947 TC, mainly in boxes, and am in the process of trying to set up the body tub on the sub-frame.

In TCs Forever, the wooden frame side elevation drawings show the over wheel arch as basically level, same height at the front and back but slightly higher in the middle. However, in the construction of the cockpit drawings, stage 1 and stage 2, the upper wheel arch wood appear to be higher at the front and lower at the back.

Does anyone know which is correct? Your help would be much appreciated!

stephen stierman

Re: TC rear door pillar and over wheel arch profile

Post by stephen stierman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:06 am

I went out and took a look at mine and did a little measuring. Pretty flat at the top as best I could tell perhaps a tiny slope as you get to elbow rail and maybe a touch going toward the rear corner. My timbers were new from Moss and were very good, and the rear quarter panel was repaired, the original top section was butt welded into a new lower section so the top was as original in shape. Photo of new timbers assembled and placed on chassis.
Attachments
woodjpg.jpg
woodjpg.jpg (94.77 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
off2jpg.jpg
off2jpg.jpg (65.91 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

BerTC

Post by BerTC » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 am

Hi Stephen, thank you yes that is what i thought but mine leans down at the back what is left of it which is why I wanted to check. Would you mind taking a picture lower down with the top in perfect profile so I can check mine, that would be fabulous.

Thanks

Bertie

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:58 pm

See if this might help. Click on it and blow it up.
Attachments
IMG_4164.JPG

frenchblatter

Post by frenchblatter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:13 pm

Bertie,

Not sure if it will help but look through my blog on my rebuild. The complete tub is on September and look at the complete car in the gallery.

http://www.lotus7news.co.uk/MG-TC-HOME.htm
Lynne & Norman Verona.

Our website

Visit our website to see what this idiot gets up to in his retirement

SteveW

Post by SteveW » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:45 am

stephen stierman wrote:I went out and took a look at mine and did a little measuring. Pretty flat at the top as best I could tell perhaps a tiny slope as you get to elbow rail and maybe a touch going toward the rear corner. My timbers were new from Moss and were very good, and the rear quarter panel was repaired, the original top section was butt welded into a new lower section so the top was as original in shape. Photo of new timbers assembled and placed on chassis.
Hi Stephen,

Looking at your picture without the quarter panels, I cannot quite see, but does the profile at the edges of your inner dash follow the profile of the top of the door pillar. I made a new inner dash as an exact copy of my old rotted original, but when I match it to the new door posts, the curves where they both sit under the scuttle top don't match.

stephen stierman

Post by stephen stierman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:15 am

Steve,
It has been a number of years since I built this and I do not remember all the exact fit up issues, but I believe the inner dash lined up well enough with the door posts. In that the quarters are on and wrap around the post a bit, it is very hard to tell the fit. I would suggest a trial fit of the scuttle top and the quarter to make sure things are as they should be. The nice thing about wood is that you can trim or add to sections with scrap and proper glue if you need to.